Page 92 of 102 FirstFirst ... 428286878889909192939495969798 ... LastLast

Thread: Stacking physical cash

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    Well Dave, some here believe that the coins are minted by the US Govt. whereas paper is printed by a Private Entity the Federal Reserve. As such, the thought is that when the crooked Federal Reserve decides to collapse the value of the paper dollars possibly as an example would be by simply reducing the value by a factor of 10 ( $100 bill now equal to $10) On the other hand government minted coinage would hold the value as stamped on the coin. At least that is the way I understand the theory and somewhat subscribe to personally... Interested to hear Harleyjohn's response to this. Also interested to hear others chime in on the debate.
    I like NICKELS, its my forth hedge, against a fed default.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

Isn'tstacking metal near same, it can be converted back to the cash. Who devalues?, they just print higher denomination notes, India just did that.

Well Dave, some here believe that the coins are minted by the US Govt. whereas paper is printed by a Private Entity the Federal Reserve. As such, the thought is that when the crooked Federal Reserve decides to collapse the value of the paper dollars possibly as an example would be by simply reducing the value by a factor of 10 ( $100 bill now equal to $10) On the other hand government minted coinage would hold the value as stamped on the coin. . .
    Okay, but what is this "value" stamped on the coin that you speak of? I know they say "one cent", "quarter dollar", etc., but where are these values defined?

"Everybody knows" is not an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDave View Post
    Okay, but what is this "value" stamped on the coin that you speak of? I know they say "one cent", "quarter dollar", etc., but where are these values defined?

"Everybody knows" is not an answer.
    above my pay grade, someone else can better explain.

basically Hoarding coins is not a bad idea.... review the Argentine financial/money events in the the 1990's. there is a benefit with coinage, coinage IS backed by the US Gov, as opposed to frns....of course we all know they are no substitute for pm's such as silver gold and plat,or numis even, but maybe if ?......if our fed goes broke, the coins they have some value, but possibly no more value than their metallic content at minimum..... i.e., nickle and copper mainly, bank boxes of them, imo for the nickle and copper.....lol!! i stack too in bank boxes and rolls, sba dollars, sacagawea's, and the newer presidential series coins....yup...there is a melt ban however, ha...

i hoard nickle and copper...many know that here.........i have the space and the eclectic crazy mind.....in a total collapse metal will be much ore valuable than paper, imo..

do know, the fed res, does not produce bank notes nor coins, right............ the (BEP) produces currency and stamps, our U.S. Mint produces our nation's coins.... the federal reserve ony issues frns and puts them into circulation.

also concerning nickles.....
    http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/sa...about-nickels/
    Save Your Nickels! What You Need To Know About Nickels
    January 13, 2016

So, is it really that easy to get real money in exchange for the worthless stuff floating around? Yes, it still is. You walk into a bank, hand the teller a 20-dollar bill, and walk out with 10 rolls of nickels. There is no dealer markup. There is no sales tax. There are no shipping fees.

There is no capital gains tax or value added tax. It almost seems impossible in this day and age. It soon will be impossible. We are temporarily in an era with nickels that is analogous to the pre-1965 silver coinage period.

read more in the referenced article^^^

also sorting copper pennies to sell, has made me $$$$$$$ over many years, there are buyers big and small...at one point i had sorters running 100-200 bank boxes a day and selling the coppers to constant clients that resell, clients that hold, to LCS's, and on the bay and other venues, sometimes more that that...it was profitable, will be again if copper rises...folks are inherently stackers, especially preppers..

different strokes for different folks...yup!

http://www.investopedia.com/financia...t1tn-no-widget

Why Are People Hoarding Coins?

Stocks and bonds are common investment vehicles which are owned, directly or indirectly, by investors and pension holders. Metals also have a market value; silver and gold, for example are traded daily. Other metals also have value and a new breed of investors is emerging: the coin hoarde

Read more^^^^^^^^^^^

also>>>https://plantingmoneyseeds.com/coin-...-idea-nickels/
    the possible realities of growing metal prices has many wondering if it's a good time to be hoarding common coins........before the composition of them changes....one trend has been to hoard older pennies that are still mostly made from copper, rather than the newer pennies that are mostly made from zinc.....and nickles too

http://business.financialpost.com/in...he-copper-coin

Hoarding as investment strategy: Why one man stockpiled 3M pennies when Canada ditched the copper coin....

http://www.coinweek.com/bullion-repo...g-billionaire/
    The Nickel-Hoarding Billionaire

Bass could easily afford coins in the six-figure and up range, but (for now) he is targeting much more mundane pieces. The contrarian investor sunk exactly $1 million into U.S. coins, but his purchase didn't require numismatic expertise or third-party grading. That's because Bass purchsed 20 million common-date Jeffersons at face value.

Why would a guy who deals in big numbers and sophisticated investing strategies bother with lowly nickels? read more^^ fun article !!

some of us think out of the box, I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED TOO, cause we can..we think in the box too, so we are not crazies by any meaning of the word....

Sure, I can see why people would "hoard" (and how is that different from "own", or "save"?) coins for their metallic content. But how is that different than at any other time in history? They are recognized, measured amounts of PM, commonly known as "money".

But that isn't my question. My question is about non-PM coinage: What makes today's sandwich/zinc plated currency any more stackable than paper currency?

...some here believe that the coins are minted by the US Govt. whereas paper is printed by a Private Entity the Federal Reserve. ...
    A distinction without a difference, in my opinion. Four quarters will always be worth $1, and if the value of the paper dollar is inflated or deflated, so will the value of 4 quarters.

I've heard others here assert that 4 quarters may someday be worth more than a dollar bill, but I have yet to hear anything other than that: a bald assertion without technical arguments to support it. The difference in the source is irrelevant. If someone values 4 quarters, then why would they suddenly value a one dollar bill differently? I just don't see it.

Having said that, I would be interested in seeing someone prove me wrong.

[Edit to add this, arguing against myself: I suppose it is possible that Congress would pass a law stating that $100 bills are the new $1 bill, and the $1 bill will no longer be accepted (or is the equivalent of a penny)...and that that law passed by Congress would not address coins, allowing the quarter to go from being 25% of one dollar to being 25% of $100. Is that the extremely remote scenario for which people who stack regular coins are preparing? A person with all quarters would have increased their holdings by 100%. But, I suspect that dollar coins would be treated as dollar bills, not $100 bills in that scenario...but maybe not.]
    Last edited by Dmitri; 12-16-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDave View Post
    Sure, I can see why people would "hoard" (and how is that different from "own", or "save"?) coins for their metallic content. But how is that different than at any other time in history? They are recognized, measured amounts of PM, commonly known as "money".

But that isn't my question. My question is about non-PM coinage: What makes today's sandwich/zinc plated currency any more stackable than paper currency?
    was not answering you dave, no intention of...... but in summary, copper pennies and or nickel and copper nickels, are not clad, are not precious...just worth their weight , well? in copper or nickel... that is all.... if the US currency paper promise notes, totally collapsed..

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    ...So, is it really that easy to get real money in exchange for the worthless stuff floating around? Yes, it still is. You walk into a bank, hand the teller a 20-dollar bill, and walk out with 10 rolls of nickels. There is no dealer markup. There is no sales tax. There are no shipping fees.

There is no capital gains tax or value added tax. It almost seems impossible in this day and age. It soon will be impossible. We are temporarily in an era with nickels that is analogous to the pre-1965 silver coinage period.
    Melt value of nickels is about 3.5 cents now. May change in the future, of course. But I'm not sure you have a gain there.