Page 7 of 102 FirstFirst 123456789101112131757 ... LastLast

Thread: Stacking physical cash

Cash is good. People like cash and it's great for haggling. Also keeps you under the radar for certain purchases if you already have it versus going to the bank and pulling a large sum out. Also, good to have in case spending gets out of control and limits are ever set on digital transactions.

It has occurred to me (Duh) that real live bills may be rarer than gold. After all every dollar deposited is loaned out exponentially and digitally.

Better gitcher dollars while you still can!

Might not be a bad time to spend them too.

Earlier today, I went to the bank to swap a $100 note for a similar value of brand new smaller denomination notes...if your gonna stack notes, stack the valuable/crisp/sequential/star/error ones ...anyway, none to be found.

It was the main branch, too

I was told the best time for $2 notes is at Christmas time
    At least I got a tip about $2 notes...

Anyway, I read it on another thread about the condition of circulating notes, these days.
    I think I've noticed it too...All the notes these days seem to be more worn than I ever remember.

Just saying...

Default Its a good plan

Quote Originally Posted by Feral child View Post
    ABSOLUTELY keep at least a few months expenses in USD on hand, I've been doing this for many months now but a 100+ USDX? I don't see it without a catastrophic collapse in the Euro in which case we'll have a whole 'nother set of problems (which I believe the PTB won't permit) on our hands.
    Maybe 3 months or so in case/when SHTF.

But its true that if its really bad then cash might not "fit the bill" any more !

Cash is King, until it isn't.

Diversify in all things, so one commodity/valuable/collectable (but no Twinkies!) may 'pan out' when you need it most.
    Buy Gold and Silver, then wait.
    Gold, Silver: Beautiful Insurance in Ugly Situations
    Monetary triangle: U-Unit of Account, W-Store of Wealth, M-Medium of Exchange.
    PMs are unencumbered tangible fungible fractionable portable durable liquid insurance...without counter party risk; elementary, "Internet Safe" w/o tech issues.
    Silver cheaper than Gold, both precious !!
    Gold and Silver are elemental with no man-in-the-middle.

Default Diversify in all things !! "" HardlyPeeved""

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyPeeved View Post
    Maybe 3 months or so in case/when SHTF.

But its true that if its really bad then cash might not "fit the bill" any more !

Cash is King, until it isn't.

Diversify in all things, so one commodity/valuable/collectable (but no Twinkies!) may 'pan out' when you need it most.
    We are Living in a house of cards and a windstorm is coming - I would rather have many small stacks of everything .

Default Thats the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    We are Living in a house of cards and a windstorm is coming - I would rather have many small stacks of everything .
    Diversification, thats always the best. ..........
    'Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered'

So, I am now down to 47K in mortgage debt. We are living extremely sparsely (although I would like to get rid of the cell phone and cable, my sweety will not go that far). As a reminder, in July 2011, I had $286,000 in debt.

It can be done.

Right now stacking cash and paying down debt. I have saved almost 50K in interest (if I paid minimum payments).

Plan is to be debt free within 12 months. There is a storm coming. I think PMs will continue to get hit hard the next 6-9 months. I continue to buy a little here and there, but for the most part this is the plan.

I want to be debt free prior to the storm hitting. I am convinced that deflation will override all of the debt, it is just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Agree. I already have a decent stack, so stacking cash and paying down debt makes sense.

No stocks
    No bonds (other than cash, which is basically debt)
    My investments are my family, house, cars (paid), guns (paid), silver, gold, stamps and my mind.

Agree, there is a storm brewing and I think it will hit at the end of this year. Don't be surprised to see AU and AG in the teens.

I pulled about £50 000 in cash out of the 3 banks which took 3 weeks and I was a bit worried about someone pinching it.
    I changed it all into pennies and poured it down the back of the sofa. Itís a bit lumpy
    but the dog hasnít complained yet.

Nice article regarding debt:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-0...t-debt-serfdom

"Submitted by Charles Hugh-Smith of OfTwoMinds blog,

Debt-serfdom and the dominance of Financial Power are two sides of the same coin.

Let's be clear about three things:

1. Too Big to Fail financialization is the metastasizing cancer that has crippled democracy and capitalism.

2. Financialization feeds on expanding debt and cannot survive without it.

3. Debt is serfdom. I have covered this in depth for years:

The New Road to Serfdom: A Negative-Equity Mortgage (May 9, 2006)
    The Company Store, Debt and Serfdom (October 24, 2008)
    Debt-Serfdom Is Now the New American Norm (October 18, 2011)
    The Origins of American Debt-Serfdom (October 19, 2011)
    EU Fiscal Union = EU Debt Serfdom (December 7, 2011)
    Debt Serfdom in One Chart (May 4, 2012)
    By Incentivizing Debt, We've Guaranteed Debt-Serfdom and Stagnation (June 12, 2012)
    The Road to Debt-Serfdom (January 25, 2013)

There are three key dynamics to debt-serfdom:

A. The serf is never free of debt, i.e. he/she is programmed to being indebted for life.

B. Most of the serf's income is devoted to servicing debt.

C. Most of the debt is unproductive: marginal-utility college education, needless auto loan, leveraged McMansion that loses value in the inevitable speculative bust, and so on.
    There are many ways to state these fundamentals and shelfloads of books have been written to describe the many mechanisms of financialization and serfdom, but we can summarize the dynamics in a few additional points:

4. Financialization requires a corruptible, highly centralized State that enables the extreme concentration of financial assets and power. Recall that debt is the banks' primary asset; every loan a debt-serf takes adds to the banks' wealth and power:"