Page 4 of 102 FirstFirst 123456789101454 ... LastLast

Thread: Stacking physical cash

8 global banks downgraded, including BofA.

Now on Drudge.

She got tricks in the stash
    Stacking up the cash
    Fast when it comes to the gas

Well said Atlas. I have some of the same questions and similar business experiences. If I had alot of business success I'd sure be sharing it with the next generation b/c that is the kind of person i strive to be. Mentoring is such a positive feeling.

Yet, recently had my hard earned success stolen by corrupt ponzi cpa's from utah - so lost it all. Not crying, not whining and not discouraged, well not completely. So, I can share my failures but I'd sure like to hear from a success... to be encouraged by another persons wisdom. I admire TPG and recognize his wisdom/experience, mostly b/c I see soundness in his strategies but you're right he is cryptic.

Good analysis of the RE game...

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    PG, while I agree with you in spirit, having had two rental properties I can safely say that investors have been burned on real estate in the following ways:

- Negative equity where the cost or buying and repairing the property is less than its market value.

- There is a reduction in property values generally due to prices going up too much when borrowed money was more freely available prior to the credit crunch and they are now retracting.

- Cost of maintenance and other unexpected repairs.

- Tenants trashing the rental property.

- Cost of eviction.

- Interest rates going up pushing up costs of borrowing caused by banks trying to rebuild their balance sheets because they have bad debts associated with real estate.

- Over leveraging where banks call in loans and put real estate businesses into liquidation to recover some capital.

- Unavailability of capital to complete projects.

- Increases in property taxes by governments scrambling for cash to fund bail out plans caused by unavailability of funds due to the financial system crises.

- Rent controls.

- Planning permission delays and rejections.

- Falling rents due to oversupply. Entire estates have been destroyed in some areas due to oversupply. There can also be periods when the property can not be rented due to oversupply.

- Exorbitant property management fees being charged on apartment complexes.

Also, other "passive" income, like blogging, rental businesses, etc all require work. Building a small business nowadays is difficult due to regulations, taxes and employee issues.

There is no free lunch. I am glad that you, at 70+- years old have been able to be successful. For all the Jeff Bezos and Steve Jobs of the world (and Plantguys), there are hundreds of failures. And they are not ALL from being lazy, uninformed or stupid.

Quit making it sound like getting into passive income is a snap. Also, be more specific about it if you really want to help people here out. What were some of your greatest failures? What do you need to be a success? What are your top five (specifically) passive income ideas?

Atlas.

still stacking the green stuff. I am so relieved that I was able to sell my townhouse (rental)...what a weight from my shoulders.

Stack it, pay down debt. The only way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercoin View Post
    She got tricks in the stash
    Stacking up the cash
    Fast when it comes to the gas
    By no means average
    She's on when she's got to have it
    Baby, you're a perfect ten, I wanna get in
    Can I get down, so I can win
    $x3

From the department of redundancy department - "physical cash" is a silly phrase.

Cash means cash. There is no other way to hold cash. Cash is not a bank account with a TBTF. Cash is not a line of credit. Etc. When people suggest (rightly so) that one needs an emergency fund, they tend to balk on the "cash" part.

I don't know if holding cash is a good plan or not, but let's get the terms straight. Count how many times in the next few weeks - when you hear or read "cash" - note if they really mean cash or not.

/rant off.

Quote Originally Posted by 4AMJAVA View Post
    From the department of redundancy department - "physical cash" is a silly phrase.

Cash means cash. There is no other way to hold cash. Cash is not a bank account with a TBTF. Cash is not a line of credit. Etc. When people suggest (rightly so) that one needs an emergency fund, they tend to balk on the "cash" part.

I don't know if holding cash is a good plan or not, but let's get the terms straight. Count how many times in the next few weeks - when you hear or read "cash" - note if they really mean cash or not.

/rant off.
    Since people think money in the bank or money market is cash, I wanted to be clear. But you are right, cash is physical paper.

Cash will keep you warm in the winter - if you throw it in the fireplace and strike a match to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurferRidingTheWave View Post
    Cash will keep you warm in the winter - if you throw it in the fireplace and strike a match to it.
    Send me yours and I will send you the same amount of BTUs in wood, coal or oil. Your choice. Matter of fact, I will double the BTUs, just for you.

Cash is king in a deflationary cycle. Those are times when extraordinary opportunities present themselves. Without cash on hand, you can't take advantage of them