Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 51919596979899100101102 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1017

Thread: Stacking physical cash

yes, i get the same thing here in swfl regarding the usage of any $2 bill.the last time i used a handfull of $2 bills the cashier said, "wow thank you" and called over his fellow store employee to check them out. haha

Yes, people do like them. I get in stacks of hundreds of these at the bank, all crisp from the mint condition*, wonder how long they actual last in circulation due to their relative rarity. Most the the rolls of $1 coins I get are also mint, the Presidential series. Lots of people like $2 bills and $1 coins, I am doing my best to encourage their use, while I would like to see the $1 bill go the way of the half cent..

*Though dated 2017, I believe the last year printed
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    yes, i get the same thing here in swfl regarding the usage of any $2 bill.the last time i used a handfull of $2 bills the cashier said, "wow thank you" and called over his fellow store employee to check them out. haha

Yes, people do like them. I get in stacks of hundreds of these at the bank, all crisp from the mint condition*, wonder how long they actual last in circulation due to their relative rarity. Most the the rolls of $1 coins I get are also mint, the Presidential series. Lots of people like $2 bills and $1 coins, I am doing my best to encourage their use, while I would like to see the $1 bill go the way of the half cent..

*Though dated 2017, I believe the last year printed
    The Fed lists lifespan for all other denominations, but not the $2 - https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/...aper-money.htm
    https://www.uscurrency.gov/life-cycle/data/life-span

BEP lists production figures - https://www.bep.gov/currency/product...uction-reports

There are private estimates of how long a $2 lasts. I think they are probably low, This one claims 6 years - https://www.marketplace.org/2015/01/...o-few-2-bills/
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

$2 bills last forever.
    As an lcs, not a day goes by without at least 1 customer bringing in their paper money collection they had hidden in a tobacco tin in their sock drawer. Almost always a lot of $1 silver certificates and $2 bills from 1934-date, mostly 1957-date, all near worthless beyond face value.

Here is a picture of such a 1957 silver certificate:
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Apparently, back in 1957, people still understood what a dollar meant, the same understanding of a dollar as they had back when the term was used in the Constitution. Back in the 70's, I could still find such dollars in circulation, which as a boy I collected, thinking that the words on such official U.S. certificates meant something. I was wrong. I was to trusting in government, and learned a lesson the hard way. No, you can't trust government anymore, as our politicians are allies with the bankers in lying to and swindling so many good citizens.

They should have kept backing such certificates "one dollar in silver", and not forever changed the definition of the dollar, as if we are forever at war so such extreme measures and monetary trickery needs to happen. Now, what will "one dollar" in silver get you? Not even a half dime.

Stacking federal reserve notes was a mistake in the past, today, and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by insidedealer View Post
    $2 bills last forever.
    As an lcs, not a day goes by without at least 1 customer bringing in their paper money collection they had hidden in a tobacco tin in their sock drawer. Almost always a lot of $1 silver certificates and $2 bills from 1934-date, mostly 1957-date, all near worthless beyond face value.
    Actually, the silver certificates are worth $5-15 depending on the year and condition. Maybe more depending.

I still have cash, just not stacking it anymore. Mainly because I can't afford to stack anything at this point.

All I can think of when I see a silver certificate is there was an ounce of silver our government and politicians stole from the American people.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

I have a large collection of silver and gold certs. While the market for them isn’t hot right now, they are still worth well over face, and can easily be 10x-20x face.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Not only were silver certificates backed by silver you could also get your hands on that silver. Back in the late '50's and early 60's we used to get small sealed bags of silver dollars from the local bank and take them home to search for better coins than what was already in our collections. One or two each week would get swapped out and back to the bank would go the culls along with most of the old bag. A few more silver cert's add to the total and home came a new bag of 50.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble