Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone against buying fractional?

Default Anyone against buying fractional?

I know some of you are able, but I'm not in a situation to buy full 1oz gold. As Silver (poor man's gold) is "easier" to purchase at full oz's, I'm wondering if fractional gold buying has it's pro's as well. My LCS has started carrying (or at least I'm just now noticing-displaying) those gram bars that carry a smaller premium than the AGE. I have 1/10 gold...that's it. Silver....a modest 38oz. So, I know we are on the gold forum, so I do expect a little bias, but would it be wise to get a little more gold...even if it's at smaller fractions (.25/5gram/10gram)?

I hope this makes sense. Still working on the first cup of joe..

Default 5 &10gr

I would try for at least 5 or10gr bars or some of the smaller coins from europe and mexico. otherwise the premiums hurt.

Pamp 10 gram

I have to agree with coindog .... if not buying 1/10 ... keep the bars at minimum 5 grams !
    Try to keep away from premiums over 3% ...reason being ... when selling you're going to take a loss ( most dealers I know are paying 98% of spot for bars ... even less for mexican coins ) ....
    If possible always try to sell privately .... and by doing so ...you will have a bigger audience with fractional gold
    in short ...fractionals are fine !!

Sovereigns and gold pesos are a great choice for low premium fractional gold. The 1/10 1/4 bullion coins have such a high premium I only buy them when they are on sale.

Nothing wrong with fractionals, the 1/10 are kind of silly small but hey, gold is gold. Ounce coins have a satisfying heft and art I can see, but at the end of the day ten tenth-ouncers are worth as much as one 1oz'er ... minus the trouble of cutting up the big coin and weighing the pieces.

Personally I guess I find the 1/10 coins to be a little bit "why bother," they are so ridiculously tiny! I stack silver for the "small stuff" and only buy gold when a windfall puts my "dry powder" above the one-ounce line; I'm one of the few who would take a single ounce coin over ten 1/10s for the same price. But that is personal preference and I have nothing bad to say about fractionals, except that silver will probably be more useful for small transactions than tiny-ass gold coins if you are a SHTF type of stacker.

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    I know some of you are able, but I'm not in a situation to buy full 1oz gold. As Silver (poor man's gold) is "easier" to purchase at full oz's, I'm wondering if fractional gold buying has it's pro's as well. My LCS has started carrying (or at least I'm just now noticing-displaying) those gram bars that carry a smaller premium than the AGE. I have 1/10 gold...that's it. Silver....a modest 38oz. So, I know we are on the gold forum, so I do expect a little bias, but would it be wise to get a little more gold...even if it's at smaller fractions (.25/5gram/10gram)?

I hope this makes sense. Still working on the first cup of joe..
    i buy 1 gram 1/10 1/4 of gold... the only down side is the mark up is alittle higher on smaller coins. the pro is that if gold hits 6,000 or 55,000 or more it will be easer to sell if its broken up in small amounts all in all 1 gram or gold is better than having 60 dollars in your bank

1/10 oz is better than no oz but typically the premiums % wise are higher on small coins. But if you can find a 1/10 oz at the same % premium as a 1oz by all means go for it, it will be easier to resell and its a lot more fun to own 10 of something than one haha. I personally am saving up for my first oz but have been tempted to buy a 1/2 as i have the funds for that.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerbic View Post
    Nothing wrong with fractionals, the 1/10 are kind of silly small but hey, gold is gold. Ounce coins have a satisfying heft and art I can see, but at the end of the day ten tenth-ouncers are worth as much as one 1oz'er ... minus the trouble of cutting up the big coin and weighing the pieces.

Personally I guess I find the 1/10 coins to be a little bit "why bother," they are so ridiculously tiny! I stack silver for the "small stuff" and only buy gold when a windfall puts my "dry powder" above the one-ounce line; I'm one of the few who would take a single ounce coin over ten 1/10s for the same price. But that is personal preference and I have nothing bad to say about fractionals, except that silver will probably be more useful for small transactions than tiny-ass gold coins if you are a SHTF type of stacker.
    Well if you ever have 10 pesky little 1/10ths you want to trade for a hefty 1oz then send me a PM because those 1/10ths are preferable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HighInBC View Post
    Well if you ever have 10 pesky little 1/10ths you want to trade for a hefty 1oz then send me a PM because those 1/10ths are preferable to me.
    And he can send me a pm for the 1/4 ths ...even the 1/2 ths

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast