Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dealer who use UPS are reckless

Quote Originally Posted by Carssman1 View Post

I fricken Hate UPS,
    ditto, to the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Carssman1 View Post

I fricken Hate UPS,
    It seems to me that UPS has a crushing machine installed somewhere and every package is required to go through at least once. I avoid them whenever possible.
    $x6
    I'm a bullion stacker!

You can CALL/request to the dealer to HOLD your package(s) at their facility until you pick them up there. I was told that a maximum of 8 days is the time-frame that they hold your packages; after that, UPS sends them right back to where they came from.

Odd, I live in the states and every package I have had delivered from a PM dealer by UPS, Fedx or the USPS has required a signature from someone over 18 at the address on the package.

Anyone that orders an ounce or more of gold today and has it delivered any other way than USPS Registered Mail needs to have their common sense examined.

But why won't most sellers use Registered Mail? You have to find a special brown tape very few places carry, even the Post Office here doesn't know where customers can get it. They have it, but don't sell it. If you search places like eBay for it, you can't find it.

Secondly, say you've found the brown tape and at a reasonable price. You need a lot of it if you're constantly sending out registered mail. Plus it's considerably more work than just sealing the ends of a priority box, ups, etc.

Now you've got them all done it's time to bring all the packages to the Post Office, wait in line, fill out the registered forms, have the clerk stamp them all over, etc.

Even if we lived in a totally honest world, there's still this thing called incompetence, and there's lots of that today. So, by all means, go the extra mile and leave as little to chance as possible.

Tell your neighbors it is for your brother/uncle and they have a PO box.
    Tell them you are flipping it for a profit...once in a lifetime chance...etc...

As far as the paper tape: Any office supply store will have shelves full of the tape.

USPS: use Priority Mail Flat Rate Box Insured. Signature Guaranteed...Sometimes I have only used Tracking...works great. We do not appreciate the USPS enough...never lost a thing on me in 11 years.

When your insurance runs above $1k use registered.

Just saying...one bad situation does not forever a crisis make.

Paranoia will destroy ya!

Get to know your neighbor...geesh...

Not ranting on you...just trying to settle ya down a bit...

Honor for US, Justice for Our Children! Now!

UPS often leaves me packages on the front porch. I guess they figure it is worth the risk, at least in low crime neighborhoods. I once sent two pistols back to the manufacturer for modification. About 4 weeks later, I got back home after a trip to find two UPS boxes containing these pistols on my front porch.

I wish they would make you sign for anything worth more than $50.

This just ludicrous, firstly what would possess your neighbour to open the package. If I took a package for a neighbour I would be curious whats inside but would never never consider opening it.

To the guy who said hide it in your backyard, not prudant with noisy neighbours like that, that would be last thing you want to do as they know you are holding bullion. Are you crazy?

And for UPS to just leave it next door without a signature of a resisdent above 18 from your household.

In the coming years fraud and counterfits will be common. This could hurt spot price unlike any other single factor.

In Canada, if you are not home a note is left you go down with id and sign for package at ups office and you are your way with your bullion.

I haven't heard of any horror stories of buyers losing their investment through no fault of their own, but it is coming I'm sure.

What's to stop fraudsters phishing fake bullion companies having you wire funds then disappear? Beware these companies will offer unbelievale prices to hook, line, and sink you.

Anyone know of a bullion horror story lose of 100% of investment?
    I can't find one, YET.

Arn't your leary of using online dealers? Especially after Full Tilt and Stars ponzi schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by goldhunting View Post
    Anyone that orders an ounce or more of gold today and has it delivered any other way than USPS Registered Mail needs to have their common sense examined.

But why won't most sellers use Registered Mail? You have to find a special brown tape very few places carry, even the Post Office here doesn't know where customers can get it. They have it, but don't sell it. If you search places like eBay for it, you can't find it.

Secondly, say you've found the brown tape and at a reasonable price. You need a lot of it if you're constantly sending out registered mail. Plus it's considerably more work than just sealing the ends of a priority box, ups, etc.

Now you've got them all done it's time to bring all the packages to the Post Office, wait in line, fill out the registered forms, have the clerk stamp them all over, etc.

Even if we lived in a totally honest world, there's still this thing called incompetence, and there's lots of that today. So, by all means, go the extra mile and leave as little to chance as possible.

Every Staples or Office depot in the world most likely has reinforced paper tape. I got mine at Staples. It is about $8/roll and a roll will most likely last me 5 years. I send about a dozen batches of coins into NGC for grading a year and occasionally sell a coin on the bay for 1-2K so I send maybe 20 registered packages a year. Get the tape that is usually put in a dispenser that requires moistening. No need to buy a dispenser though, just cut to length with a pair of scissors and dampen the gummed side with a small, wet, foam paint brush. It works great and makes some impressive packaging. I like using it better than regular packing tape. Most sellers on Ebay don't use Registered Mail because it is very slow and they fear a nuckleheaded buyer dinging the crap out of the "shipping time" dsr because some are too stupid to realize that is supposed to reflect the amout of time from payment being made to the seller shipping and NOT the entire transit time.
    Last edited by bottle collector; 10-21-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bottle collector View Post
    Every Staples or Office depot in the world most likely has reinforced paper tape. I got mine at Staples. It is about $8/roll and a roll will most likely last me 5 years.
    Hahaha, those places were both competing here in one shopping strip, first Staples in operation, then Office Depot came later thinking they'll outdo their competition, but had their ass handed to them not long after. Neither of them carried the special registered mail reinforced tape. I think you're fortunate if it's easy for you to attain it.

Anyway, my point was more about that even if it was easy to attain, most sellers still aren't going to use it. It's extra work ..and you can't preprint Registered Mail and drop the packages in the post office parcel box. Each must be presented at the counter to the clerk.
    Last edited by goldhunting; 10-21-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast