Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

Thread: Have you noticed any food price inflation yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomMan06 View Post
    Well, that is good for you and your area. Groceries were only slowly inching upwards (as always) until a sudden increase of 5-10% on a lot of them where i live right after the new year started. I would not be surprised if the groceries that have not moved much start catching up during the year. It's so bad i'm considering buying gold again.
    you can't eat gold tho

Finally found some whole chickens last night. They are about 30% higher than last year at $1.25 lb vs $0.95 a lb

But I also bought 10 lb boneless pork loin@ $1.99 per and 10# of ground chuck for $3.40 lb. Their bacon was also $4.50 a lb if bought in bulk. All them are the same as last summer/fall here.

Some brand name packaged bacon is over $7 a lb though.

Aldi has boneless chicken breast for $1.89 lb this week, $1.99 last week.
    Last edited by redraspberry; 02-20-2022 at 11:46 AM.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Quote Originally Posted by redraspberry View Post
    Finally found some whole chickens last night. They are about 30% higher than last year at $1.25 lb vs $0.95 a lb

But I also bought 10 lb boneless pork loin@ $1.99 per and 10# of ground chuck for $3.40 lb. Their bacon was also $4.50 a lb if bought in bulk. All them are the same as last summer/fall here.

Some brand name packaged bacon is over $7 a lb though.

Aldi has boneless chicken breast for $1.89 lb this week, $1.99 last week.
    everything listed are way cheaper than in canada

For some unknown reason, my "reply with quote" button no longer works... anyway.. true, gold can't be eaten. Sadly. But neither can currency. And even if one insisted to eat either, the weight gain would in both cases be temporary And as we all know, gold is no alternative to food, but it is an alternative to larger cash holdings With its own pros and cons.

For some unknown reason, my "reply with quote" button no longer works.

This has been the case for myself and others for many months now, apparently it's not worth the cost of having some tech fix, which is to bad, maybe a sign of ??? Now, I just copy & paste what I like to refer to and put in italics.

Anyway, inflation is obvious in most areas, however more so for anything that is labor intensive I've found, or certain items having supply chain problems. It's the way our system works, only question is will it become high enough that they need to take serious action (not just raise interest rates little), and if they do take serious action such as raising interest high as they did in the 80's, what will happen with high interest rates that many, including perhaps this nation, can not pay? (For this nation debt I imagine they can just print "out of thin air" like a magician, while all normal debtors will just need to suffer?).

Holding large sums of cash for any longer period of time is foolish and also supports what I see as monetary fraud, so gold always good (as is food!)
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

The only thing that has really risen other than convivence food is beef here. A New York strip loin I use to get for $6 a lb and now is $11 a lb. Any processed food is higher, transportation cost got to be killing that.

The local grocery story chain I get my meat at in bulk has quite a reputation for their fresh meat department and produce a lot of unique items. Corned Beef brats are the special this month.

Interesting to see Heavy Whipping Cream has not risen a bit since last year.

I attribute the lack of whole chickens to the processing of chicken nuggets and such. That stuff has increased almost 100%.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Anyway, inflation is obvious in most areas, however more so for anything that is labor intensive I've found, or certain items having supply chain problems. It's the way our system works, only question is will it become high enough that they need to take serious action (not just raise interest rates little), and if they do take serious action such as raising interest high as they did in the 80's, what will happen with high interest rates that many, including perhaps this nation, can not pay? (For this nation debt I imagine they can just print "out of thin air" like a magician, while all normal debtors will just need to suffer?).

I would say inflation has been rampant in everything non-labor-related (assets of any kind) for several years, and the consumer goods are now starting to catch up. The previous question was if non-labor-assets would deflate OR if consumer goods would catch up. I had more faith in the latter, which we now seem to be experiencing. There still is the possibility of a dual effort where consumer-goods rise while assets decline so that things again get somewhat balanced.

The slight increases in interest rates will probably not be enough to fight inflation on consumer goods/labor costs, but enough to keep assets in check/crash.

Seems the FED is aiming to inflate away all promises(cash/savings) while keeping stonks and rich-people-assets ever inflating (real terms). Thus keeping a large class of slaves fed and willing to work.

Gold is a way to not fight the FED while still admitting they might fail spectacularly in both directions.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011