Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CC good deal?

if it says uncirculated dollar on the gsa holder $175 is a fair price

there are also some gsa cc's that do not specify uncirculated ....

as always though look at the coin ....if it's in a gsa holder that says uncirculated it's probably at least a ms 62....if you like the looks of it go for it ....and while you can't expect it to gain a lot in price at least not in the near future ...imo it will hold it's value

what years are the cowboy coins?

If it is a GSA coin in a case assume the lowest Mint State of 60 without a slab. 175 is a good price.
    Heroism is wasted in war - you may win the battle, but lose the war; while treason is rewarded with several countries and all your groceries paid for...but your life is not your own.

Quote Originally Posted by blatant View Post
    thx, i guess this should've been in the numi section, i've been bullion for so long it's rough. I'm tired of it, no longer thrills me however I did find and original gim round in my dealer generic bin. Time to move on to something more exciting but it's alot of work and then more work and then tough and a huge learning curve.

for example I have a dude willing to sell me a ms63 1883o for 40 bucks. Not slabbed but "claims" he is good enough to figure it out. I'll have to see.

Then another telling me 190.00 for an 83 cc that isn't graded but is PL or dmpl..."sort of" not sure on that one either but if it's not banged up and based on dalton's thread, I believe that would be a good deal.
    The risks with raw numismatic coins are legion. You could be buying a fake. Even if not fake it can be cleaned or damaged.

If you want a CC Morgan I would purchase a coin slabbed by either PCGS or NGC. They are the only two that get respect in the marketplace.

Unless you know how to grade you can get fleeced buying raw coins. Sellers oftern grade "optimistically" to your disadvantage. You have to ask yourself why a coin is not slabbed. Problem coins do not get into top tier holders.

If I were you I would get a PCGS graded CC morgan, a mimimum of MS63 in uncirculated or AU58 if you want a nice lightly circulated coin. You will find such coins much easy to resell.
    But choose wisely

the reason alot are not slabed is the cost. I just sent a 19010 barber quarter off to PCGS and it's costing $86. I know the coin is just a good and i would be satisfied but buyers want to know it's real and graded by one of those two.

I'm really liking morgans and want to pick up a CC. My local guy has a 1884 gsa cc. He said if it rated it'd probably be a 62, due to whiskers and dings. He is asking 175. Is this a good move or should I spend a bit more for different date cc in ms63? Thanks
    With all the GSA packing, $175 is a fair deal. If you want it, do it. They are very liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by flhtquick View Post
    the reason alot are not slabed is the cost. I just sent a 19010 barber quarter off to PCGS and it's costing $86. I know the coin is just a good and i would be satisfied but buyers want to know it's real and graded by one of those two.
    Grading company costs drop substantially if you are sending in more than one coin at a time and/or choose a less expensive service level.

PCGS' regular service is $30 per coin plus the cost of shipping. Your cost goes way down per coin if you are sending in 5 or more coins.

The economy service is even less expensive but you must submit a certain minimum number of coins.

Considering the number of fakes coming out of China I would not dream of spending $200 or more on a 19th century Morgan Dollar or gold coin that was not in a PCGS or NGC holder.
    But choose wisely

Smile big learning curve

thx, i guess this should've been in the numi section, i've been bullion for so long it's rough. I'm tired of it, no longer thrills me however I did find and original gim round in my dealer generic bin. Time to move on to something more exciting but it's alot of work and then more work and then tough and a huge learning curve.

for example I have a dude willing to sell me a ms63 1883o for 40 bucks. Not slabbed but "claims" he is good enough to figure it out. I'll have to see.

Then another telling me 190.00 for an 83 cc that isn't graded but is PL or dmpl..."sort of" not sure on that one either but if it's not banged up and based on dalton's thread, I believe that would be a good deal.
    been a coin collector for 20+ yrs. the learning curve doesn't have to be costly, just study some graded coins with a good magnifier and you can get a feel for the diff between grades. then its safe to buy raw coins. you need to spend a lot of time at coin shops/shows. you can't learn about numismatics off the internet. I like holding 100yr old coins in mint condition. they have a style and beauty that modern bullion can't match.

I was offered $2800 cash for the 1901o but graded it could be worth less but maybe much more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12