Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC good deal?

Default CC good deal?

Last edited by blatant; 02-22-2011 at 07:37 AM.

No that is not a good deal !
    Fact is ... the coin is not graded ....therefore .... you guessed it !
    The only thing that add's value is the slab of NGC or PCGS ...not the opinion of a coin-dealer ...
    Of course he is going to sat that this is a almost perfect coin ! If that was/is the case ...why doesn't he have it graded ?

It's not too bad of a price. Is the coin baggy?

Personally, I'd go with the lowest minted CC Morgan, 1885 in circulated condition.

XF45 or AU58

Maybe ask over in the Numismatics Forum too.
    Last edited by MyBids; 01-14-2011 at 04:12 PM.

before you start buying get a red book and study. Prices are alittle high in the red book so compare to the #-bay for priceing and learn what they go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio Patria Nostra View Post
    No that is not a good deal !
    Fact is ... the coin is not graded ....therefore .... you guessed it !
    The only thing that add's value is the slab of NGC or PCGS ...not the opinion of a coin-dealer ...
    Of course he is going to sat that this is a almost perfect coin ! If that was/is the case ...why doesn't he have it graded ?
    Not true... Original GSA packaging does add a premium to the Morgans. You can even send them in and have them graded without being removed from the GSA packaging. This coin runs retail in GSA packaging between $175 to $225 in my experience so you can probably get a better example for around the same money.

Smile get a better date

the '82-'83-'84 morgans are far to common even in GSA holders to gain much value. in fact prices are down from2-3 yrs.ago. the mass promoters always push these dates because they are so easy to come by. if you want 1 with more potential go with the 1885 as mentioned or an 1880 0r 1881cc. just compare some graded coins to the one you want to buy if you are buying ungraded. the above mentioned coins are all unc. in GSA holders and don't have much price diff between m.s. 62-63-64. they are a far better investment but do cost in the $450-550 range. thats how I have done well anyway. BTW $175 is a fair price ,CC morgans are cool, everybody wants them but I don't see any gain with the 3 common years
    Last edited by coindog; 01-14-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Default Eeesh

That's over $200/ozt. Mighty pricey silver when you can buy bullion for around $30...
    Govern this.

Quote Originally Posted by madduxxx View Post
    Not true... Original GSA packaging does add a premium to the Morgans. You can even send them in and have them graded without being removed from the GSA packaging. This coin runs retail in GSA packaging between $175 to $225 in my experience so you can probably get a better example for around the same money.
    From their own website :
    " ..At the time grading standards were less rigidly defined and not accurately applied ...."
    How can a NGC morgan 1884 CC / MS62 have a value off $204 compared to the gsa ... ? gsa .... $175 ..no thank you !
    I you believe that stuff .... I hav several sgs graded morgan ms67 .... you can have them for half of the NGC price !

Post know your coins

Quote Originally Posted by Legio Patria Nostra View Post
    From their own website :
    " ..At the time grading standards were less rigidly defined and not accurately applied ...."
    How can a NGC morgan 1884 CC / MS62 have a value off $204 compared to the gsa ... ? gsa .... $175 ..no thank you !
    I you believe that stuff .... I hav several sgs graded morgan ms67 .... you can have them for half of the NGC price !
    sorry you bought SGS graded coins, but if people would study coins before buying high numis value items you can't get burned too badly. not picking on you but a little examination of coins and you can spot an overgraded coin in a few seconds. a true m.s.67 morgan is very rare. the condition is what it is graded or not.

Just checked the latest completed auctions for GSA Morgan 1884CC ungraded Cowboy Coins. The range on the last 20 or so was $170 to about $250. GSA's undisturbed in original cases are generally mint state and some are high MS. That's why the auction price averages MS 60 - 64. Cowboy coins are the most popular Morgans, and Morgans are very well liked by alot of people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast