Thread: why palladium cheap compared to Platinum?

Default why palladium cheap compared to Platinum?

From what I read both are about as scarce.

How much demand is there for average person to buy palladium? Platinum jewelry is known as valuable. Palladium is just making inroads in the marketplace.

Default Pd just starting

Palladium is rare in American Jewelery, not so much in Asia.
    Platinum is used more often as a catalyst, I think that will change as Pt gets to be more expensive. Palladium is a logical replacement / addition.

I'm nibbling at Palladium. At half the price of gold an ounce and a scarcity that is far greater than gold, it seems like an obvious buy. Also, it's not
    like Silver of which there is an abundance.

Though I may be missing something.

It's too bad palladium didn't join the party today. I need to start following pd a little more closely, I'm just sitting on a couple of maples at this point.

Smile joining the party

Hopefully it won't join right away and gives you time to trade one of the others for some next week.

If (WHEN) metal catylized fusion becomes practical, palladium will go from $hundreds to $thousands overnight. Not to mention the tried and true uses it can replace plat for! As it gets so much more expensive it's gonna start getting used instead. Got quite a stash of pd :-)

Why is this seemingly contradictory statement true? “As it [Pd] gets so much more expensive it's gonna start getting used instead” When Palladium takes off it will never come down, it will be essential to our way of life, making it all the more attractive for its secondary use as jewelry.

“Metal catalyzed fusion” – music to my ears. Why is this taking so long? The evidence seems to be in, and the need sure is there – one morning we wakeup and palladium will be a “K buck” with no dips to buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Heruur View Post
    If (WHEN) metal catylized fusion becomes practical, palladium will go from $hundreds to $thousands overnight. Not to mention the tried and true uses it can replace plat for! As it gets so much more expensive it's gonna start getting used instead. Got quite a stash of pd :-)

Default What are you missing?

Quote Originally Posted by joe32 View Post
    I'm nibbling at Palladium. At half the price of gold an ounce and a scarcity that is far greater than gold, it seems like an obvious buy. Also, it's not
    like Silver of which there is an abundance.

Though I may be missing something.
    Silver is not abundant. It is more scarce than gold. Read Ted Butler and decide for yourself.
    Why do governments insist on charging capital gains tax. It is insulting. Capital Gains result from inflation which is created by government printing money which in itself is known to be an indirect tax. To tax the capital gain is double taxation and its unfair. Somebody please stop the government from taxing capital gains.

I read an article the other day, can't remember where. Basically it said that Russia produces about 50% (give or take) of all the palladium in the world. Palladium is slightly more abundant than platinum with similar properties. The downside is that demand for it is less (it could pick up if we do go to a hydrogen economy).

There is also more in stock than in there is in demand for it, which is why the price is relatively cheap--altho it has creeped up to and stayed around $350, from last years price (at this time) of $300/ounce.