Thread: UK State Pension Age increases: you ain't seen nothing yet

Default UK State Pension Age increases: you ain't seen nothing yet

State Pension Age increases: you ain't seen nothing yet

By Ian Cowie Your Money Last updated: October 21st, 2010

A document issued by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) last night, several hours after Chancellor George Osborne finished telling Parliament about his Comprehensive Spending Review, says the Government plans “future increases to the State Pension Age” in addition to those announced yesterday.

While the disclosure is likely to be greeted with dismay by many women and others, pension experts view it as inevitable. They say rising life expectancy and massive savings from raising State Pension Age mean further delays in retirement make economic sense but questioned whether these would be fair to poorer people who tend to die earlier than wealthier ones.
    Last edited by ynot2k; 10-21-2010 at 02:08 PM.

UK to change pension formula to reduce pension payment
    https://www.independent.co.uk/money/...-a7590546.html

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    UK to change pension formula to reduce pension payment
    https://www.independent.co.uk/money/...-a7590546.html
    Ha Ha - British non government employees are way ahead of the game then North American ones. I am not aware of any private pension plan in Canada that has
    indexing of any kind. Government yes. This article is talking about private businesses, I believe. I am assuming that the US private DB pensions are not indexed, assuming that they
    even exist in any significant degree.
    Yes in North America your DB pension depreciates each year in purchasing power so that if you retire fairly early and live a long life it is mostly worthless near the end.