Page 576 of 576 FirstFirst ... 76476526566570571572573574575576
Results 5,751 to 5,759 of 5759

Thread: Pandas ... pros & cons...?

Hello digibird and everyone.
    I no longer collect pandas ever since the mintage has been greatly increased. But I still collect old silver coins.
    Last edited by CumulousJade; 10-13-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CumulousJade View Post
    Hello digibird and everyone.
    I no longer collect pandas ever since the mintage has been greatly increased. But I still collect old silver coins.
    Long time no see you CumulousJade. Good to see you back. Yes, they lost a lot of collectors by raising the mintages plus drifting to the new gram style.

Hope you are well these days. Cheers
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

There seems to be a general disinterest (maybe a misunderstanding) about pandas since the China mint switched to gram weights. Let me clear this up:
    You don't have to "collect" pandas to be a buyer. You can invest in them instead. Whereas a collector will buy one (or more) of each year to assemble sets, an investor IDs the most promising years (and/or sizes within certain years) and then buys up all of those particular coins.

Investors who are NOW snapping up certain dates and sizes in the gold and silver panda series will do very well in the near future. IMO, gold and silver pandas, esp. the key dates and semi-key dates, will continue to outpace the gains made by bullion. Profits can be used to buy more bullion.

It is VERY easy to move/position oneself smartly within the gold panda coin market right now since the number of examples of certain key dates on the market is below 10 or 15. All you have to do is buy up X number of a certain coin and there will be little to no supply left. You would control it all.

2018 Pandas should be for sale now. It's a close-up of a single Panda and I like the image for this year. Sorry, I don't have 3rd. party hosting so don't have a photo to post. Here are the propose mintages for 2018.

Maximum mintages authorized:

1 grams of round gold: 1 million pieces.
    3 grams of round gold: 800,000.
    8 grams of round gold: 600,000 pieces.
    15 grams of round gold:600,000 pieces.
    30 grams of round gold: 700,000 pieces.
    50 grams of round gold: 20,000 pieces.
    100 grams of round gold: 10,000 pieces.
    150 grams of round gold: 5,000 pieces.
    1 kg round gold: 500 pieces.
    30 grams of circular silver: 10,000,000 pieces.
    150 grams of circular silver: 60,000 pieces.
    1 kg round silver: 20,000 pieces.

Coins to be minted by the Shenzhen National Treasure Coin Co., Ltd., Shanghai Mint Co., Ltd. And Shenyang Mint Co., Ltd.

Once again, these are the maximum amounts, whether they reach these numbers is a different kettle of fish.

good morning,

i have a question about the 50 yuan 1984 gold coin, it appears to me this one has been undervalued in comparison to the 200 yuan 2003.

wbr
    peter1
    Last edited by peter 1; 11-24-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by peter 1 View Post
    good morning,

i have a question about the 50 yuan 1984 gold coin, it appears to me this one has been undervalued in comparison to the 200 yuan 2003.

wbr
    peter1
    Sorry I missed your post Peter 1. I'll quote from Peter Antony's Panda Price Guide book.

The 1984 50 yuan 1/2 oz. gold coin in BU population is estimated at 7,000 from an actual mintage of 20,057.

The 2003 200 yuan 1/2 oz. gold coin in BU population is estimated at 3,000 from an actual mintage of 25,000.

I'm actually surprised that the 1984 has more survivors as I know many hit the melting pot in the early 1990's where the 2003's missed this event for the most part and gold was just starting it's climb. I've heard that getting high grades from the early 1980's coins is hard to get from the 3rd. party graders as over the years the mints improved their technique. As you may be aware, there has been a giant leap in 1/2 oz. gold Panda coins. Like any market, there are up and down periods.

Not sure if this helps you Peter 1 , but some info is better than no info.

@digbird

well thk u for yr info....7000 is not a lot , my piece is contained in original folio , which is believed as good as ms-69 grading plus variety narrow characters.

mfgpeter1

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    Yes a lot of us stopped when they started issuing the "new" style, but a few folks started also. I think more stopped than started, and some just continued. I like the older Pandas and will still buy them if I see a deal. All a matter of taste, no right and no wrong, just what ever your into. Havent seen any charts on the world wide distribution of the newer coinage. North America & Europe use to be big buyers of the old style.
    I just started with the Pandas (30gm coins), but only getting a couple of each of the recent mintages in 30gm only. More just because I like the look. The majority of my silver is 1oz coins (eagles, leafs, etc) or 5/10oz bars. I wish I knew more about numismatics - I also wish I started stacking 20 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by surfsup View Post
    I just started with the Pandas (30gm coins), but only getting a couple of each of the recent mintages in 30gm only. More just because I like the look. The majority of my silver is 1oz coins (eagles, leafs, etc) or 5/10oz bars. I wish I knew more about numismatics - I also wish I started stacking 20 years ago!
    Welcome aboard Surfsup.

Nothing wrong in set building the newer style of 30gram Pandas. Stick to the big sellers and you'll avoid fakes. If silver ever increases in price your collection will appreciate as well. Enjoy the ride if your just into the bullion end of collecting. Every year they announce their intended maximum mintages, but they rarely ever reach the max mintage. For investing, I'd go back to the earlier issues up until 2010 as mintages were lower back then. Best of luck to your new Panda farm.