Page 1 of 232 12345671151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Miners Due Diligence Center (MDDC)

Default Center for Miners Fundamental Analysis

After much thought, I have decided to start a new thread that is focussed on discovering the best gold and silver miners out there. I tried to do this as a part of someone else's thread but more often than not when day trading is in full bloom, my posts tend to get lost in the sea of day trading activities. I hope this will become a center of due diligence for the fundamentals of miners big and small where Kitcoers can drop by for ideas as well as contribute to the body of knowledge that hopefully will help us navigate through the rough times ahead.

For a start, I will be using a combination of different variables, including market capitalization per oz of gold or silver equivalent, Ore Grade, in-situ metal value, resources, reserves, etc to evaluate and rank miners. My focus will be on miners that trade on the TSX and V. I am looking forward to us brainstorming our way to the best miners. Welcome to MDDC!

Without further ado, I will unveil my first piece of research on a list of 28 miners listed on the TSX. View top deals of the week from ALDI Catalogue special buys.

Using data from WWW.Goldminerpulse.com, I have devised a quantitative method of comparing silver mining companies on the basis of market capitalization per ounce of silver equivalent, in situ silver ounces, silver ore grades and NI 43-101 reserves and resource classifications. I have assigned equal weight to each of these 4 factors. Also, the 4th factor has three categories and I have assigned twice the weight to Measured & Indicated over Inferred, and twice the weight to Proven & Probable over MI.

To me, it seems to make quite a lot of sense. For example, Impact Silver, with mostly Inferred% is right at the bottom. Revett, Silver Standard, and Pan America are right at the top because of relatively low Mark Cap/oz Ag Eq, High quantities of in-situ metals, and a good spread of resources across PP, MI, and I. Also, High River ranks quite high by virtue of its great ore quality.
    Last edited by jdourekas; 10-18-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Updated Spreadsheet

Default exchanges

it would be nice to know which exchange these compaines are listed on...

Quote Originally Posted by InGoldweTrust View Post
    it would be nice to know which exchange these compaines are listed on...
    Without further ado, I will unveil my first piece of research on a list of 28 miners listed on the TSX.

I think he already did...

I am tempted to buy the top ten to see how they do as a group
    Drambuie, The Golden Elixir !

Needs more spread sheet

For those wishing to trade on the US markets got to your favorite stock quote page and enter the name of the miner not the tsx symbol. You should then be rewarded with the US market pink sheet listing...newbies just remember that pink sheets tend to have lower volume and can be difficult to find buyers if you need out quick....great post Will!

Wonder if it would help to post your formula and define the variables to head off the questions?? Might also allow others to help tweak it...bottom line is to find the best formula that results in making a profit so I'll try to think of a good way to test the outcome if you want? My degree in math is 20 years old though!
    Smooth is fast...

Thanks for this thread Will Wong. Can you work on turning it into more of a spreadsheet visually? Maybe make a spread sheet, take a screen print, copy and paste into paint or photoshop and then upload the picture to photobucket or what have you and finally post a picture that way? It's hard to read as presented though I know you worked hard to line it up.

By the way Revett is in a longstanding environmental struggle so that should be factored in to the analysis. If I recall the goldminerpulse guy included that in his reply to you. Thank you for this resource Will Wong!

Condemnation without investigation is the highest form of ignorance.- A. Einstein

Always DYODD. Do not take anything I say as a financial tip as it is not.

Where I got my name a funny video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRA_9_djcPo

Check out and contribute to the Rare Earths Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingerdoc View Post
    For those wishing to trade on the US markets got to your favorite stock quote page and enter the name of the miner not the tsx symbol. You should then be rewarded with the US market pink sheet listing...newbies just remember that pink sheets tend to have lower volume and can be difficult to find buyers if you need out quick....great post Will!

Wonder if it would help to post your formula and define the variables to head off the questions?? Might also allow others to help tweak it...bottom line is to find the best formula that results in making a profit so I'll try to think of a good way to test the outcome if you want? My degree in math is 20 years old though!
    Actually I already did. Equal weights to each of the 4 factors, so 25% of each plus the 4th factor is made up of three components PP:MI:I are given weights of 4X:2X:1X times 25%.

Anything you can do to test/tweak this formula so that we get better results will help including 20 year old Math degree. My engineering degree is considerably older than yours! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bring the Gold View Post
    Thanks for this thread Will Wong. Can you work on turning it into more of a spreadsheet visually? Maybe make a spread sheet, take a screen print, copy and paste into paint or photoshop and then upload the picture to photobucket or what have you and finally post a picture that way? It's hard to read as presented though I know you worked hard to line it up.

By the way Revett is in a longstanding environmental struggle so that should be factored in to the analysis. If I recall the goldminerpulse guy included that in his reply to you. Thank you for this resource Will Wong!
    BTG:

You are most welcome. I will see what I can do to make this more readable. I think Revett's struggle with the Environmentalists is already factored into the calculations by assigning zero % to the resources in the troubled area. I know I can count on you to make this a success for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Drambuie View Post
    Without further ado, I will unveil my first piece of research on a list of 28 miners listed on the TSX.

I think he already did...

I am tempted to buy the top ten to see how they do as a group
    I will defintely paper trade all of them on Google Finance for a while. Buying the top 10 or 5 may not be a bad idea but I would like us to do further research into a few other areas, including the quality of the management team, the financials of each company, and the political environment of each of their mines.

Also, miners seem to be consolidating a little right now. If I recall correctly, Cyclist calls for buying miners during the second week of October. That might give us a couple of weeks for further DD.
    Last edited by Will Wong; 09-21-2010 at 09:47 AM.

My junior mining list is enormous, so I would love to narrow it down to a top 10 and just load up and let em ride until the end of the bull market. The thought of trading this little ones give me a headache just thinking about it.

Page 1 of 232 12345671151101 ... LastLast