Thread: 1700's & 1800's silver spanish pillar dollar

Default 1700's & 1800's silver spanish pillar dollar

long time lurker first time poster. Great site full of good people.

can i get some info from the gurus around here as to what there numismatic value if any. Also i believe they're .903 silver content from what i read. weigh around 26 grams each give or takeI just came across around 240 of these and want to make sure they are real before i buy anymore.

front

back

different coin front

back

Also any info on this coin would be great. I love coin heritage. this coin does have some ?assayer? marks on it
    Last edited by CovShark; 03-14-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Used to have one of those babies but believe it or not I think I put it in a slot machine one night in Vegas while somewhat enebriated. Wouldn't mind getting another so if you don't mind sharing where they are and the price. They look genuine to me but the condition is not the greatest. I wouldn't pay more than a K for the lot but couldn't say for sure what their present day value would be worth.

I think the 8R to the left of the crown stands for 8 Reales. An M with a o over it is the sign for the Mexican mint , Casa de Moneda. I dont know about this M with a ^ on top. Maybe.
    Charles the Fifth was on the coin until 1808 and there were some 1808s minted with the face of Ferdinand VII but Napolean started appearing on the face of the 1808 8 Real piece so there arent as many of the 1808 Ferdinands around.
    http://metaldetectingworld.com/coins...r_reales.shtml
    Sorry to butt in. I am not a coin expert. I am a student of Mexican History with an interest in coins. I have a 1783 I bought from a profiteer advertising shipwreck coins and I paid over $100 just to have one.

Real ones are silver, are not magnetic and
    weight: 27 grams
    Fineness: .903 fine silver
    Diameter: 39 mm
    reverse: The pillers of Hercules and the Spanish coat of arms
    Last edited by jvsjvs; 03-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jvsjvs View Post
    I think the 8R to the left of the crown stands for 8 Reales.
    Charles the Fifth was on the coin until 1808 and there were some 1808s minted with the face of Ferdinand VII but Napolean start appearing on the face of the 1808 8 Real piece so there arent as many of the 1808 Ferdinands around.
    http://metaldetectingworld.com/coins...r_reales.shtml
    Sorry to butt in. I am not a coin expert. I am a student of Mexican History with an interest in coins. I have a 1783 I bought from a profiteer advertising shipwreck coins and I paid over $100 just to have one.

Real ones are silver, are not magnetic and
    weight: 27 grams
    Fineness: .903 fine silver
    Diameter: 39 mm
    reverse: The pillers of Hercules and the Spanish coat of arms

great information. Stuff like this excites me. Keep it coming. I will probably end up selling some(keeping alot for myself of course) of these once i determine they are real. All signs are pointing to real the edges match up the mint marks match up,weight,diameter, everything is matching up.

The most interesting thing about some of these coins are the assayers marks that were stamped into them over the past 200 years. one coin i have must have at least 10 different markings. These coins are incredible!!

Hispanic Escudos became the Mexican Peso. Both were an international medium of exchange: a recognized trade dollar. They were legal tender in the USA. As the Peso traveled thru the orient buying goods in china and Japan the coins collected "Chop-marks" which were marks of Mercantile houses that indicated authenticity of the coins . These were assayers marks. I have seen pictures of old pesos with "chop marks" on eBay.

Yup, they look like good ol' spanish pieces of eight. Fun fact: The $ symbol actually came from the way the ribbon, or whatever it is (banner maybe?), is wrapped around each pillar.
    -- If you forget that you've forgotten something you needed to remember, you never forgot it--

great info guys. Now I'm definitely picking all of these up that i can. Great American Heritage.

Obverse
    CAROLUS IIII DEI GRATIA 1803

"Charles IIII by the Grace of God, 1803"
    Right profile of Charles IIII in toga with laurel wreath..

Reverse
    HISPAN[IARUM] ET IND[IARUM] REX M[EXICANUS] 8 R[EALES] F M

"King of the Spains and the Indies, Mexico [City Mint], 8 reales"
    Crowned Spanish arms between the Pillars of Hercules adorned with PLVS VLTRA motto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar
    Last edited by jvsjvs; 03-14-2010 at 07:11 PM.

well tomorrow i am meeting the guy to buy the rest...wish me luck