Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have/had a lead-filled 100 ounce silver bar?

Default Anyone have/had a lead-filled 100 ounce silver bar?

Hi,

I'm working on a webpage that covers all the details about lead-filled 100 ounce silver bars. It's got the pictures of the two bars that have been posted before (the Cyclepro 3 drilled holes one, and the hollowed-out one that barely escaped melting), and all the details I could find (whether or not they can be detected, how they are made, etc.).

My question is have any of you purchased a 100 ounce silver bar that turned out to be lead-filled? Do any of you still have any? Any first-hand details you would care to share?

Reports have ranged from '1 in 25' or '1 in 40' are lead filled, to about 1 in 1000 being lead filled (which seems to be the most likely scenario), to 'no more of these out there'. I'm hoping to get a better idea of how many are out there and/or have been detected.

Well, I've had at least 10,000 100 oz'ers pass through my hands, and I've never seen one. Never heard of them, except for on these boards and some linked "conspiracy" Internet sites. Perhaps some exist. The Chinese are getting cleverer every day...but as I say I've never seen one. And I've never heard from fellow dealers of them ever seeing one.
    I don't believe in bars anyway. Stick to coins, imo. 90% junk coins work just fine. Plus, they're not so....industrial.

well if the picture that i posted of three holes is the one you have, the dealer that took it in got multiple 100 oz bars from one seller, and the drilled one was one of them and he told me the owner had them for a long time and didn't even know he had a doctored bar. so there may be quite a few out there horded away in the hands of people that dont even know they have a bar that has been tampered with.. forgive the spelling if any mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by insidedealer View Post
    Well, I've had at least 10,000 100 oz'ers pass through my hands, and I've never seen one. Never heard of them, except for on these boards and some linked "conspiracy" Internet sites. Perhaps some exist. The Chinese are getting cleverer every day...but as I say I've never seen one. And I've never heard from fellow dealers of them ever seeing one.
    I don't believe in bars anyway. Stick to coins, imo. 90% junk coins work just fine. Plus, they're not so....industrial.
    I heard there were just a few found in the 79-80 rise area
    not many
    100's are nice bars compact
    the scaremongering over fakes is just that unsubstantiated
    IMHO
    Links?
    $
    Lifes lessons are hard to come by
    but easy to get over
    Ludwig von Mises: "We must see conditions as they really are, not as we want them to be."
    Protect yourself from the fed buy Your metal from
    KITCO

I have handled many a thousands of 100 bars and I have never had one! I would be willing to pay for any drilled bars to see them for my self. I never put much credibility to these claims. As silver has not had much to offer a crook in terms of risk reward. Seems to me the work that would go into making a drilled bar would not be worth it!

I have never seen one either but I mean come on, the risk reward is definately there and you must know they do exist. This isn't Bigfoot for God's sake. The only question is how rampant it is. I don't think it's a large percentage or anything, but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMiner View Post
    I have never seen one either but I mean come on, the risk reward is definately there and you must know they do exist. This isn't Bigfoot for God's sake. The only question is how rampant it is. I don't think it's a large percentage or anything, but it's something.
    There's certainly SOME small percentage....but the numbers the OP were throwing around are ridiculous. 1 in 25?, 1 in 40?...1 in 1000?....NO WAY
    What's that old song "You're One In A Million".
    And even that's probably overstating it.

The only one that I have ever seen in person was an ugly old bar that looked hand poured.

Stick with bars that are mint poured and you should not have a problem.

Anytime you buy something that looks like someone made it in their barn, you don't really know what you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by HCD123 View Post
    well if the picture that i posted of three holes is the one you have, the dealer that took it in got multiple 100 oz bars from one seller, and the drilled one was one of them and he told me the owner had them for a long time and didn't even know he had a doctored bar. so there may be quite a few out there horded away in the hands of people that dont even know they have a bar that has been tampered with.. forgive the spelling if any mistakes.
    Ah, I had missed that one! Would you mind if we used that picture on our page?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdombuilder View Post
    I have handled many a thousands of 100 bars and I have never had one! I would be willing to pay for any drilled bars to see them for my self. I never put much credibility to these claims. As silver has not had much to offer a crook in terms of risk reward. Seems to me the work that would go into making a drilled bar would not be worth it!
    That is why I said there 'may be' many out there, because while talking to the dealer we discussed the fact that if one were to go to the trouble of making one it would stand to reason that you would make more.

Are you suggesting that I somehow faked the picture of a fake bar? It is on display at the shop if you get to the flyover states call and I will take you to see it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast