Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Numastic Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by halfhunter View Post
    I believe that my reading skills are at least as good as yours.
    Obviously not.

Why do you insist on making personal attacks on people who state an opinion that differs from yours ? ! ? !
    LOL, actually our opinions are the same in this matter so my questioning your reading skill has absolutely nothing to do with having different opinions. Its simply has to do with you not being able to read very well. Try rereading my post and then reread your response and you just might get it this time.

Actually on the chance that you wont get it ill spell it out for you. You replied to my post with this statement.

Comparing the Proof 95-W ASE with a mintage of 30,125 and only sold as part of the AGE proof set that year to common, made for bullion, ASEs is like comparing apples to oranges.
    If you would have properly read my post you would have seen that I said this:

"Obviously the 1995 W is a very rare exception and the majority of Eagles, even those that are proofs or with mint marks, are nowhere near as valuable as the 95W. The point is that you can make money on this part of the market and some of these coins do in fact have considerable value and considerable potential. You just have to know what to buy and what not to buy."

This statement shows that I clearly understood the fact that the 95-W is the exception, not the rule or as you so keenly put it was like comparing apples to oranges. It was the point I was making that was important and that is that there is money to be made in this market if you know what to buy and what to look for. All you did in your reply is state what I already CLEARLY stated and you did it in a manner that suggested I didnt understand this fact. Hence my accusation that you have poor reading skills, which I stand by 100%. By the way I never once said anything about "common, made for bullion, ASEs". I was talking about all slabbed eagles, not just the common kind found in monster boxes.

BY the way I actually just read an interesting article on the 2008 W Gold Buffalo's.

Before examining these factors, I wanted to start with a review of some of the sales prices for 2008-W Gold Buffalo coins from recently completed eBay auctions. A 4 coin proof set graded PR70DCAM First Strike recently sold for an incredible $16,999.00. Some 4 coin proof sets graded NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo have sold for around $8,000 - $9,000, and some of the 4 coin uncirculated sets grading NGC MS 70 have sold for $6,000 - $7,000 per set. These sales prices compare to original US Mint prices of $1,959.95 for the uncirculated set and $2,219.95 for the proof set.
    http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/

Another great example of the fact that there is money to be made in this market and the effect on value that slabbing has. After reading that I am definitely sending my 2008 W Gold Buffalo proof set in to be slabbed.
    Last edited by OrangeCrush; 03-12-2010 at 08:39 PM.

OK your reading skills are better than mine.
    I'm not here to get into a pissing contest with anyone. Certainly not about something this trivial ! ! !

Have a great weekend Sir!

HH
    Always Searching for OBW Rolls ! ! !

OK your reading skills are better than mine.
    I am glad we have come to an agreement on this.

I'm not here to get into a pissing contest with anyone. Certainly not about something this trivial ! ! !
    Me neither. Man were on a roll. That's 2 things in a row we agree on.

Have a great weekend Sir!

HH
    And to you as well!

Dang How about that. Next thing ya'know you'll be wanting to share a bottle of that Sloan Proprietary Red (2005) with me . . .

. . . Probably NOT ! ! !

Cheers,

HH

Hold on a minute. What does a 95w have to do with anything. Were talking modern slabbed eagles correct. The 10th anniversary gold set with the 95w ASE is not a slabbed set. I think unless your on fleecebay, you take a modern slabbed eagle to a dealer you will not get much over spot regardless of ms70, first strike, PCGS, NGC, yada yada. Yes the 95w is the grandaddy of Eagle's. I personally would only buy this set in it's original Mint box with the foils and COA. I sell coins regularly, but I don't want anything to do with any modern slabbed Eagle Karma. Also beware never to buy this set on fleecebay, many of the 95w Eags have milkspots. They don't draw near as much.
    Last edited by Jamesbong; 03-13-2010 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbong View Post
    Hold on a minute. What does a 95w have to do with anything. Were talking modern slabbed eagles correct. The 10th anniversary gold set with the 95w ASE is not a slabbed set. I think unless your on fleecebay, you take a modern eagle to a dealer you will not get much over spot regardless of ms70, first strike, PCGS, NGC, yada yada. Yes the 95w is the grandaddy of Eagle's. I personally would only buy this set in it's original Mint box with the foils and COA. I sell coins regularly, but I don't want anything to do with any modern slabbed Eagle Karma. Also beware never to buy this set on fleecebay, many of the 95w Eags have milkspots. They don't draw near as much.
    Yes were ultimately talking about slabbed modern Eagles/bullion. What does that have to do with the 95w Eagle. Its quite simple, I was making a point that there are modern eagles out there that have a lot of potential in regards to investing as some members were bashing the entire modern slabbed market as a whole. Of course the 95w doesnt come slabbed, NO COIN DOES. Every coin that you see in a slab was once out of a slab. It was submitted by someone to one of the grading services and slabbed. The bottom line is any coin can be slabbed and you can even have it done same day at some of the big coin shows. Again the 95w was simply an example of a modern coin that has a lot of potential in regards to investment value and slabbing it or buying a slabbed version only makes it that much more valuable.

As I was explaining its all about knowing what to buy and what not to buy. In regards to the 95w, the smart people bought them directly from the mint back in 95 like my father did. Like I said try and explain to someone that purchased and slabbed a 95w set that they made a bad investment. You will get laughed at. Of course this is just one "extreme" example. The US Mint has released a lot of Eagle variants over the years and many of them have increased substantially in value over the years. The Eagles proofs with mint marks, first strikes etc.. You send those in and get them slabbed and get a high grade and your going to make a considerable return on your investment. Hell just look at the article I posted in regards to the 2008 W Gold Buffalo. That set slabbed has sold for a sickening amount and its only 2 years old. Again the point was there is money to be made and that writing this market off as some big hoax that only fools invest in is.....well just dead wrong. Again its all about knowing what to buy and what not to buy.

1995 slabbed 95w - a great investment
    2008 slabbed W Buffalo - a great investment
    2009 slabbed Eagles - one of the worst investments one can make

Dang How about that. Next thing ya'know you'll be wanting to share a bottle of that Sloan Proprietary Red (2005) with me . . .

. . . Probably NOT ! ! !

Cheers,

HH
    I would have definitely given ya a glass or 2 if not for the simple fact that I hate to drink alone, lol. I did a pretty good job of it tonight tho as I polished off that entire bottle all by my lonesome and damn was it good. I am a sucker for a good bottle of wine!!

You really shouldn't take what I say on these boards very seriously. I have a strong personality and sometime I can come off like an a*s on forums. I am man enough to admit it. Just don't take it personally. That's just how I am some days, especially the days like today where I just finished a job that had me working 34 hours straight. I can be a little high strung after these types of jobs. So no hard feelings.

The funny thing about working those kinds of shifts, I have the hardest time falling asleep when they are finally over. You would think it would be the exact opposite and that I would collapse on my bed the minute I got home. Nope. Even after sucking down a bottle of wine I am still wide awake and still on my computer, lol. It really is the strangest thing.
    Last edited by OrangeCrush; 03-13-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Yes Orange Crush, You are correct the 1995w 10th Anniversary Gold Set was a good investment and your father sounds like a wise man. Those may make your family wealthy one day. The 20th Anniversary Gold, and the 20th ASE Set also did very well. I thought we were talking common slabbed BU Eagles, you got me. I totally disagree with you about the 95w set being more valuable slabbed, or buying the set currently then sending it in to be graded, but that's for another thread. I bought this set roughly 4-5 years ago for $6500 when it was hot, and it has been a terrible investment thus far (hopefully gold goes up enough to at least break even). I'm just assuming just like anything else old or rare, keep it original. Cheers 97 Ferriera Port
    Last edited by Jamesbong; 03-13-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbong View Post
    Yes Orange Crush, You are correct the 1995w 10th Anniversary Gold Set was a good investment and your father sounds like a wise man. Those may make your family wealthy one day. The 20th Anniversary Gold, and the 20th ASE Set also did very well. I thought we were talking common slabbed BU Eagles, you got me. I totally disagree with you about the 95w set being more valuable slabbed, or buying the set currently then sending it in to be graded, but that's for another thread. I bought this set roughly 4-5 years ago for $6500 when it was hot, and it has been a terrible investment thus far (hopefully gold goes up enough to at least break even). I'm just assuming just like anything else old or rare, keep it original. Cheers 97 Ferriera Port
    OUCH ! ! !
    March 5th Greysheet has the set listed at $5300/$5500 and the "W" ASE alone at $2400/$2600. At the last show I attended, a dealer had 2 sets on sale for 5k ea. Wish I had had the $$$!

Just a WAG here, but if slabbing these is like most moderns then:
    PR-70 would be cha-ching
    PR-69 - Break even
    PR-68 - Crack it & put it back in the set
    Is this about right?

HH

Yep bad timing, I bought at the top. At that time the 95w ASE was going for at least 5k alone, the ones with milkspots were going for what they are now! I just can't bring myself to take an L on this, not with such low mintage I've gotta hold out. Hopefully my nieces and nephew will have a down payment on a house with this set when the time comes. Again beware of the milkspots, they only bring half the value. I agree a ms69 would be a push, 68 uggghh, and 70's are few and far between 1 in 20? I think 5k is a great deal if all together with both foils, COA, pristine box, etc. I would hire a pro(plenty at the shows)to make sure you've got a 69 minimum, no milkspot, legit mintmark, good strike, not tampered with, etc.

Yep bad timing, I bought at the top.
    YEP. I have a safe full of coins that I'm buried in. Although I didn't collect as an investment per se, but it gets disheartning when nearly everything I bought took a dump ! ! ! That's one reason I've pretty much gotten out of numismatics and now just collect bullion and OBW rolls and bag toned Morgans and . . .

HH

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast