Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: silver on ebay

I got burned on a 1 oz panda. I knew it was fake the moment I held it. This was when silver was about $11/oz. I might buy little silver coins or bars from the bay, mostly just odd silver items, old coins and the like, but I only deal with a reputable business for my real purchases...

No, I haven't been burned... yet... i'll say it again, eBay is like the Wild West or NYCity in the 70s, if you're careful, smart & experienced you can come out with some great deals, if you are careless or naive you will be eaten alive.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. — Thorin Oakenshield

I have purchased silver bars on ebay over 50 times without a hitch. On one occasion the seller passed away before he could ship. The family refunded my money. With the protection of paypal I don't worry about being scammed. That said I will not buy from sellers out of China - I am not going to try to sort the legitimate from the otherwise.
    But choose wisely

On Ebay I've made hundreds of transactions purchasing thousands of ounces without a problem. There were three paypal disputes that were amiably resolved. The one bad Panda, out of hundreds, the seller agreed to take back without a problem.
    With Paypal and a credit card there is no way the buyer can get burned unless you insist on buying Chinese silver bars.

I got a fake one ounce Krugerrand once....It was pretty nerve racking as the seller was a scammer from the word go. There are quite a few tricks of the trade I learned from this one. This particular fellow knew his craft well. But so does MT. In the end though eBay came through and protected me.
    “Do or do not... there is no try.” - Yoda

You have to love Lunar Snake Coins.

Dont buy chinese silver on ebay ... for example - the 3 people above who said they got burned, all where buying chinese. other than that, you should be fine, just stick to name brand stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by zips5000 View Post
    Dont buy chinese silver on ebay ... for example - the 3 people above who said they got burned, all where buying chinese. other than that, you should be fine, just stick to name brand stuff.
    Yeah, I think the Krugerrand I got was made in China too!!!
    “Do or do not... there is no try.” - Yoda

You have to love Lunar Snake Coins.

Well now wait, i was answering as a buyer, actually i was scammed on eBay selling, i told eBay we were being scammed and they did nothing about it.

He bought a krug, didnt pay for it for a couple days. When I finally sent a reminder for him to pay he wrote back and said he ahd moved, could I ship the coin to the new address right away, he'd pay expedited shipping. WHen I checked the address it wa unverified and in Japan. Unverified overseas addresses void your seller protection. I said i could't ship to an unverified address. He said he understands and asked if i wanted to ship it outside of eBay. i said certainly not. Finally i cnaceleld the order but he never agreed to it and time ran out and eBay defaulted in my favor. I wrote them adn emailed them and called them and said this guy is pulling something fishy and when he does a chargeback, or claims he never got the item, or whatever his scam is, know that I told you> Wella month later he charges back ont he item I had already refunded. Ebay asked for proof of the refund which I provided, and they did not hold me liable, thank god, but the did send me a notice saying that there was inufficient evidence for the credit card company and while PayPal will not require me to refund the CC company they were going to go ahead and refund this guy's chargeback anyway. So he got away with it! ANd you wonder why they want to charge all those fees and just let a guy walk away with $1300 dollars!
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. — Thorin Oakenshield

Talking

I bought an 1904-O Morgan on the site. The picture was awful and the coin looked almost black. Only cost me 15.50 with shipping so I figured what the hey. When I got the coin I laughed out loud. My local dealer offered me 75.00for it. The deals are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff View Post
    I've bought two 10 oz silver bars from feebay.
    One arrived as planned but for the other one I got scammed by a deadbeat who made all sorts of excuses and delays and then never sent anything. (PM me if you want his feebay name, since he's a regular silver seller).
    I ended up having to get a refund from my credit card company because it was past the Paypal 45 day limit and they didn't care one bit.
    How do you force PayPal to use your credit card?

I tried to delete my checking account, but got all sorts of warnings that that would make me "unverified". I do NOT like having PayPal linked to my checking account, not one little bit. I have considered opening an account at a new bank and use that for PayPal, but you still have to keep a minimum balance, which leaves me exposed.

I'd love to have PayPal be able to see and touch nothing but my VISA card. That would rule, and would ensure Paypal or some scammer could never get one over on me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast