Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver Round VS. Canadian Maple Leaf

Smile Hedge

I agree with Thx1138.

Personally, I like coins that have legal tender and a decent face value.

When precious metals fluctuate in price you can always sell good quality coins.

For example, Australian ten dollar or twentty-five dollar silver coins are legal tender; if the gold or silver spot prices drops and you need money quick, you can sell the coins back to a bank for face value.

As an example, the Australian Two Hundred Dollar Gold Coins are legal tender which can be exchanged for $200 cash at any bank in Australia.
    In the year "2000", these coins UNC, were changing hands between dealers and customers for $207. At the bank you could get $200. The gold content of a Two Hundred dollar Coin is about 10grams or roughly 1/3 of an ounce.

The gold spot price fell below the face value of the coins. This fact gives a person reassurance that they have a backup plan for their pm.

Spot gold was about US $265 per ounce so if you do the math regarding the gold price and the currency exchange etc you can easily see that you can hedge your bet.

On 07 Feb 2008, Proof $200 gold coins were selling on auction sites for:

1984 proof gold coin: $222.50;
    1989 proof gold coin: $232.50.

The same coins are now selling at about $390.

Silver coins had a similar trend.

The problem with owning these types of coins is that you'll need a fair bit of "secure" room plus you will pay a hefty premium for the coins that have a very low mintage.

H

Edit

PS: Sorry for getting off subject.
    Last edited by Holdfast; 03-06-2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Off subject

Quote Originally Posted by gsseeker View Post
    You guys are so awesome! Thanks alot.

Thx1138, you are reading my mind, yes, I am in that panic mode and feeling very stupid that I was so blind to the commodity market. I have no PM and limited cash. I want to stack up as soon as possible but the price seems so high! I'm just waiting for the right time *like what happened early Feb to unload little cash that has been sitting around earning below 1% in my savings account. If I were smart enough to buy silver or gold earlier.... O, let me not dwell in the past! I guess coins are the best way to go about.

Thanks bunch again!
    "waking up" is a theme most of us here identify with. "Stupid" people somehow never manage to get that eye opened. Congratulations! Never feel stupid for waking up....just thank God that for whatever reason...you were able to. So very many seem to find the transition impossible.

And remember....

THERE'S ALWAYS ANOTHER BUS

Even if you missed the silver bus (which you haven't) there would be another, and the "awake" can read the schedules

See ya 'round...glad you're here
    A mountain tree if it would see
    The far horizons and the stars,
    May never know a sheltered place
    Nor grow symmetrical in grace.
    Such trees must battle doggedly
    the blasts, and bear the scars.
    ‑Loyal Marion Thompson

You guys are so awesome! Thanks alot.

Thx1138, you are reading my mind, yes, I am in that panic mode and feeling very stupid that I was so blind to the commodity market. I have no PM and limited cash. I want to stack up as soon as possible but the price seems so high! I'm just waiting for the right time *like what happened early Feb to unload little cash that has been sitting around earning below 1% in my savings account. If I were smart enough to buy silver or gold earlier.... O, let me not dwell in the past! I guess coins are the best way to go about.

Thanks bunch again!
    I think we all go through that initial panic. lol >

I am 50 years old and kick myself because I just got into PMs last year. I did a bit of coin collecting as a kid and always had PMs in the back of my mind but never disciplined myself enough to follow through.

(It especially drives it home when you come on a forum like this and watch people asking if they should break the seal on the monster box (500 oz) they just purchased. )

This forum has been a real education, thank you Kitco and all the folks here!

So far I have about 160 ounces, a baby stack compared to a lot here, but for just under a year and with my income I am all proud.

My savings yeild is something like .14%... geez, why bother. I keep some FRNs, but any excess savings goes into PMs. Trough to peak this year my silver has appreciated almost 80% by spot, not too shabby for metal just sitting there. I heard the average money market yeilds 2% nowadays.

I'm looking more and more at gold fractionals also to round out my collection a bit more.

Modest, but regular purchases add up, I really didn't think I'd have this much after less than a year, most of my stuff is mid-premium, I love the Aussie stuff. I'm in this for the long haul, a collector really, and I wanted some quality not just quantity.

You ask "Rounds or Maples"?

Get a few of each in your first purchase. (In fact, I would check out the Olympics Maples.)

The Maple is my fave of the three lower tier bullion-coins.

Besides the peace of mind and monetary aspects collecting has been a great hobby too.

Thx
    Last edited by Thx1138; 03-06-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/KitcoKontests/Trophies/Single%20Trophies/SilverTrophy1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
    I agree with Thx1138.

Personally, I like coins that have legal tender and a decent face value.

When precious metals fluctuate in price you can always sell good quality coins.

You know what buddy, I like the volatility, the fluctuation in silver.

I want it ALL fluctuating and volatile, it has not been behaving recently.

I like the volatility so I can load up during those troughs.

What else can you buy in at $12.50 and sit and watch climb to $18-$19 in 6 months?

Then come back in a few months later at the next trough.

Thx
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/KitcoKontests/Trophies/Single%20Trophies/SilverTrophy1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by uk gold standard View Post
    Here in the UK silver is taxed at 17.5%. I have been gently stacking 1oz rounds from Guernsey, and have found a round that is .999 and 31.78gram. This works out at 2p a gram LESS than silver grain bought by the Kilo in the UK. Still 2.50 over spot, but the cheapest way to get physical. I've also bought a couple of Maples, Buffs, APMEX, and NWT Stagecoach bars. I use 'em for poker chips at the minute, but with the POS on the up, that may have to stop.
    Hi

I am UK based too.

I find the cheapest way is buy rolls, or individual coins, of Walking Liberty or Kennedy 1964 Half-Dollars from USA sellers on an auction site. Many now do 'freepost' even to Europe. Sometimes I get real bargains, and if they mark the Customs import declaration at 'face value' value, then I don't have to worry about VAT taxes.

The only bugbear is the 12 the post office charge for 'handling' the import delivery on the larger, more valuable parcels (say a few hundred coins at a time) but overall it's still way cheaper than buying the coins here, even cheaper than the 'VAT-exempt' Guernsey sellers.

Such coins sell very well in Europe, and command a good premium over spot. Do try it sometime, I've never looked back. Just avoid bars! for a while the Customs people ignored small packets of 1 or 2 10oz bars, but now they screw me for full Import and VAT taxes every time, perhaps their bosses have cracked the whip with the financial mess to raise more taxes.

one thing to think about: Decide on the type of "investment" based on how you think you will divest of it.
    1 - if you think you'll be using them in Thunderdome, then go for whatever you think will give you the biggest bang for the troz there. But there is no country government running Thunderdome, so silver weight is your friend there
    2 - if you are trying to protect yourself from the likely future weakness of fiat currency, then "invest" your dying fiat accordingly
    3 - if you think you likely will divest in the relatively near future in a coin shop, pawn shop, by selling to an online store, etc - just be aware that they don't care what premium YOU paid for most PM items. They'll have little intention of paying YOU any premium at all. Expect spot and be thankful if you get a little above that for your high-premium metal ("premium" is what they make by selling, not what you make by selling to THEM). About the only place you can get a premium for selling your metal is to fleabay buyers or here in the buy/sell threads.

FYI, Scenario #3 can happen in a heartbeat if you have sudden problems that you have to deal with, which can be fixed by wealth divestment (sickness in your familiy for example). That's why my own choice was a mix of metal - mostly cheap, industrial, ugly "buy around spot" PMs (in case I had to divest suddenly) and just a little "high premium" stuff - well... because it is purdy and shiny, and it was there when I was...

Thanks Stormdance, that's a good advice, I'm just so confused! I don't see why the rounds and the coins should differ in their value, it contains same amount of silver, right? I guess it's the mintage that differentiates. I am leaning toward the coins myself. Thanks again!
    Think this through: SHTF, FRN's are dead, somebody offers you a choice between a lump of shiney metal and a tarnished Maple Leaf for a can of your tuna, which will you choose?

You protest that you were talking about halmarked rounds vs Maples. I reply my question stands.

Be sure you have enough government bullion and junk silver first. Then build bulk with halmarked rounds and bars.
    Last edited by Gold Bouillon; 03-07-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Smile Thx1138

Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    You know what buddy, I like the volatility, the fluctuation in silver.

I want it ALL fluctuating and volatile, it has not been behaving recently.

I like the volatility so I can load up during those troughs.

What else can you buy in at $12.50 and sit and watch climb to $18-$19 in 6 months?

Then come back in a few months later at the next trough.

Thx

Touche

Cheers mate

We always seem to agree, keep buying

H.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12