Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fake coins

OK Newb help here, What is the Ice cube trick? Thanks Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Richard Ward View Post
    Guys;
    The question I really want to know is, are these fake Morgans 90% silver?
    They are 0% silver.

Guys;
    The question I really want to know is, are these fake Morgans 90% silver? If they are, then they are a great bullion coin. You just treat them like high grade junk silver, spot plus a tiny premium. And, if there is any question, you ring them to check.

As for the Panda: Well, paying 37 bucks for any 1 oz silver coin ! Look, I don't care how pretty it is, or if that bear looks just like the teddy you used to be tucked into bed with, a 1 oz coin is just 1 oz of silver.

Respectfully;

Paul R. Ward
    It's highly unlikely the fake Morgans are made of silver because he sold them for $4, right? Who would take a loss on the material alone just to push a fake coin? Nobody.

What you need to do to convince yourself is acquire a real Morgan and weigh it (26.7g roughly) and then weigh the fake Morgan (It will probably weigh in between 23-26g and be magnetic).

I'm pretty familiar with fake coins because I travel a lot and see them at flea markets in California and open markets in Hong Kong. Sometimes I buy a few just to have them. It pisses off the vendor when I know they're junk and really haggle down to a nothing price.

I was driving across the burning desert; When I spotted six jet planes; Leaving six white vapor trails across the bleak terrain; It was the hexagram of the heavens; it was the strings of my guitar; Amelia, it was just a false alarm. --Joni Mitchell, Amelia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6d2RG2Rl64

Quote Originally Posted by duxbutt View Post
    Dan--That's OK, I'm an oldie and I still know very little about it. In fact, I think it's yet to be invented

Silver and gold are supposubly good conductors of heat and cold. If you put an ice cube on a piece of silver, the cold temp will permeate the item faster than other types of metal.

"How fast" and "how cold" are two very subjective variables in this trick.

Thanks Comstock. Stopped at the local dealer today and he has been swapping stories with me and showed me today how to test gold with Nitric acid for gold. That was a cool one. dude walked out of the shop PO'd. he weighed the necklace and it was 14K (hallmark) in 4 different places it weighed 49 penny weights 693 dollars worth. and went to 0 in seconds. good lesson learned.

A small one ounce coin will rapidly melt an ice-cube for a few seconds and then stop when the coin become too cold to continue.

If it is real silver you should be able to lightly push the edge of the coin into an ice cube and feel it melt into the cube quickly. I am sure some other metals conduct heat very well also, but silver conducts heat the best.

Just remember everyone, if you do the"ice cube trick" (that sounds dirty) and you care about tarnsh and spotting, be sure to lightly pat your silver with a soft cloth until completely dry....and hey!...let's be careful out there....
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. Thorin Oakenshield

Guys;
    The question I really want to know is, are these fake Morgans 90% silver? If they are, then they are a great bullion coin. You just treat them like high grade junk silver, spot plus a tiny premium. And, if there is any question, you ring them to check.

As for the Panda: Well, paying 37 bucks for any 1 oz silver coin ! Look, I don't care how pretty it is, or if that bear looks just like the teddy you used to be tucked into bed with, a 1 oz coin is just 1 oz of silver.

Respectfully;

Paul R. Ward
    Okay, if it is made of silver you have a round... as mentioned no one will make a $4 coin with $15 bullion, so a silver fake would probably be a CC or something. Making it out of silver makes it just that much harder to detect.

If you find you are stuck with some fakes you might as well collect 'em. lol

Silver is the best thermal conductor, any metal stores quite a bit of heat at room temperature and will melt ice, but silver does it best. Bites into an ice cube like a buzz saw.

Thx
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/KitcoKontests/Trophies/Single%20Trophies/SilverTrophy1.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12