Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake coins

Default Fake coins

I know it has been beat to death here but, I just had a friend come back from Afghanistan today with a number of fake silver coins. The Morgans looked pretty damn good-really too damn good. I just know that there is no way a guy gets 3 1887 Carson City coins in EF40 for $4 each. The rounds are pretty freaky too. It made me paranoid enough to pull out all my oddball rounds and wonder on them a bit.
    No question-no point. I just told him to stick to bringing hash back from now on.

OH theres all kinds of fakes over there, in Iraq and Saudi arabia etc as well, theyre almost all fakes, gold too, i woudlnt trust any coin east of Turkey.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. Thorin Oakenshield

How about Dubai?

That's the thing that bugs me with numis, and why I stick with common modern bullion, specifically ASEs.

If it weighs right, measures right, it's silver. All I need to worry about really. There's no point in faking that stuff.
    J6P here.

Question everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesstacker View Post
    How about Dubai?
    Oh the worst from what i hear, besides financing 9/11, attempting to take over strategic national security related assets in the US like our ports, beheading women for obscenely showing their ankles, slave labor, they are also the number one counterfeiter of coins after China. Gotta love em.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. Thorin Oakenshield

I like to put an ice cube onto new silver to test it.
    Last edited by HighInBC; 03-03-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo

Here's My Question for Jamesstacker:

Were the fake Morgans made of 90% silver, or were they plated
    pot metal? If Silver, who cares. If pot metal, then they are just trash.

Respectfully;

Paul R. Ward

Well I need to try the ice test but, hell I don't know they are not magnetic. I left them at a dealer friends to look at and let me know his thoughts. I guess when he gets to take a look I'll know his thoughts. I am so invested that they are fakes I would make up ways they are not silver in my mind.
    Yes I would be happy if they were real rounds.

I used to sell vintage guitars and after some of the fakes I have seen in recent years in that market everything freaks me out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Richard Ward View Post
    Here's My Question for Jamesstacker:

Were the fake Morgans made of 90% silver, or were they plated
    pot metal? If Silver, who cares. If pot metal, then they are just trash.

Respectfully;

Paul R. Ward
    Sure, you could at least get melt, but think of trying to sell them in the form of Morgan's no one will want to touch them.

It's the market being corrupted that is the worst of it.

The Panda is an awesome coin, but look at how the market has suffered for all the counterfeiting, I wouldn't touch 'em, $37 bucks for a coin that will always be in question?

Not me brother.

Thx
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/KitcoKontests/Trophies/Single%20Trophies/SilverTrophy1.jpg

Default Fake Morgans: Real Silver or Pot metal

Guys;
    The question I really want to know is, are these fake Morgans 90% silver? If they are, then they are a great bullion coin. You just treat them like high grade junk silver, spot plus a tiny premium. And, if there is any question, you ring them to check.

As for the Panda: Well, paying 37 bucks for any 1 oz silver coin ! Look, I don't care how pretty it is, or if that bear looks just like the teddy you used to be tucked into bed with, a 1 oz coin is just 1 oz of silver.

Respectfully;

Paul R. Ward

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast