Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you check your coins for weight?

Quote Originally Posted by SiberD View Post
    I weigh them and use calipers to measure their diameter and thickness.
    What kind of calipers? Recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
    What kind of calipers? Recommendation?
    Any type will do.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1
    Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.- A. Einstein

Exclamation No

I wish I knew of such a site.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarRide View Post
    latemetal, does that site show what a bar would weigh including holder?

I'd hate to take them out of their holders they came in to weigh the bar.

Or is there a site that shows that, also?

TIA
    Boycott Great Britain, hands off Iceland!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
    No idea as to composition.
    It is same size as a Morgan but weighs five grams+ less.
    Nearly 20% underweight. 21.5 grams vs. 26.73
    I don't think there is much, if any, silver in those counterfeit coins. I tried to use a silver polish on the fake I got and it wouldn't shine up at all. Mine was about the same weight as Carpenter's. Some kind of dull cheap pot metal.

Default What is the best scale for gold and silver?

Where do you get a scale for weighing the coins?

Would you open and weigh the coins in sealed a monster box of ag? Seams like a lot of work for nothing, or does this apply to Morgans and Peace and not new bullion coins such as 2010 ASE or Gold Maples.

I just bought a 2007 Three Leaf Maple in a sealed assay card and want to weigh it and the card. Will the card weight show up on the scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
    Where do you get a scale for weighing the coins?

Would you open and weigh the coins in sealed a monster box of ag? Seams like a lot of work for nothing, or does this apply to Morgans and Peace and not new bullion coins such as 2010 ASE or Gold Maples.

I just bought a 2007 Three Leaf Maple in a sealed assay card and want to weigh it and the card. Will the card weight show up on the scale?
    Digital scales are cheap.....try fleebay. I wouldn't bother with weighing the coins out sealed tubes of silver bullion. Or a coin in a sealed assay card. I don't bother too much with Libertads or the 47 and 48 Cinco Pesos that I buy as I've bought enough of them to know by sight and my calibrated palm scale

I save the scale and calipers mainly for gold coins.
    Last edited by SiberD; 01-10-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by latemetal1 View Post
    Latemetal1

Do you know of the silver equivalent to this site? I am looking for the specs of junk silver and Eagles. It would be nice to have all the specs in 1 place like the above site. Thanks!

As far as a digital scale, does it matter if it is .1g or .01g capable? It is better to have .01g for accuracy but fakes usually aren't that close in weight to the real thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by high5flyer View Post
    As far as a digital scale, does it matter if it is .1g or .01g capable? It is better to have .01g for accuracy but fakes usually aren't that close in weight to the real thing, right?
    I have a jeweler's scale that reads to .0001 g but normally use the .01g portable scale. It is very important to calibrate them since they can vary several tenths of a percent. This is because gravity varies so each scale should be calibrated where it is used. My .01g scale read .3% high until calibrated. Once calibrated, these scales tend to be incredably accurate.

Another thing is that bullion coins tend to be overweight slightly. 1ozt Maples regularly vary between 1.001 and 1.003 troy oz. Fractionals tend to be somewhat heavier as a percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by spgold View Post
    I had come across an excel table in this forum where the weight of coins were written and have followed it when it comes to weighting a coin.

Is there a table with the dimensions of each coin somewhere perhaps ?

Thanks
    Here is info on how to spot a fake Krugerrand.

http://goldkrugerrandferret.com/buy-...ke-krugerrand/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast