Page 3 of 296 FirstFirst 1234567891353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 2956

Thread: sovereigns

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    I had not heard that about Charles, it will be interesting to see what happens!

    I heard that Edward VIII would have broken with tradition and faced left as well (following George V). He of course abdicated early into his reign and no coins were ever produced with him on the obverse. So George VI facing left follows tradition even though the last monarch on coins also faced left.
    you are right, on the one penny ED VIII patterncoin he is looking to the left but no coins bearing the head of ED VIII ever circulated, ( though some in Africa carry his name ). If issued that would have been breaking the tradition. When GV overtook, he followed the tradition as if his elder brother should have been a right head and he again a left.
    On my double 1937 sov GVI looks to the left E II again to the right.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hugo mandeville View Post
    you are right, on the one penny ED VIII patterncoin he is looking to the left but no coins bearing the head of ED VIII ever circulated, ( though some in Africa carry his name ). If issued that would have been breaking the tradition. When GV overtook, he followed the tradition as if his elder brother should have been a right head and he again a left.
    On my double 1937 sov GVI looks to the left E II again to the right.
    there is a typing mistake in my text;
    "When GV overtook..." should read ;
    "When GVI overtook... "
    I have a HP PC with Wifi and it is a pain in the neck, sometimes it omits letters sometimes it mixes letters, sometimes it prints the letter at the left o the one you typed and sometimes is stubbornly refusing to print the letters. that's why i call this machine a "HP mule"...
    I regret to have bought the machine, have all the time to look and reread what i wrote... Of course i also make real mistakes...
    Got my 110th different sov.

  3. #23

    Talking

    I'm also a sov fan the best thing about them is that they are so pretty that they are use alot in jewellery.Which mean the is some real bargins. At a local auction house on 21/5/09 I picked up a gated braclet with 4 full sov's and 25g of 9k for 637 uk as well as a 10k pendent and chain with a full sov total weight 25.5g for 168 uk.
    Last edited by blueyak; 05-23-2009 at 03:49 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blueyak View Post
    I'm also a sov fan the best thing about them is that they are so pretty that they are use alot in jewellery.Which mean the is some real bargins. At a local auction house on 21/5/09 I picked up a gated braclet with 4 full sov's and 25g of 9k for 637 uk as well as a 10k pendent and chain with a full sov total weight 25.5g for 168 uk.
    yes there are a lot of bargains around especially in the UK ( concerning sovs and halfsovs ) and 20 f on the continent.
    At a time it was indeed tradition to have a jewel with a sov ( rings ) bracelets ad half sov. earrings usually carrying a piece coined at their birthdate or the birthdates of the family.
    Their degenerated heirs now sell them in order to
    buy a pint of beer, a pack of cigs...or other waste...

    I bought once a pair of marvellous early vic halfsovs earrings ( bezel type ) for 75 and even when the pound at that time was higher it still was a bargain because those early vics are just splendid and only one was IMO already worth a much higher price.
    Sometimes i think people have just lost their mind...
    I rather would have been eating stonehardbread and drink water than to sell something of that quality at such a price.
    That's what's happening when you are doing stupid things you get ripped off like the US and we all are gonna be.
    Just continue to collect sovs and you will be well off, it is a pleasure to collect them and a very liquid investment...

  5. #25

    Default 1937 proofs?

    Anyone here have any ideas on the value of the 1937 proof sovs (only year for George VI)?
    I have one that is lightly scratched...must have been worn as a pendant or carried in a pocket for a while.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverKing View Post
    Anyone here have any ideas on the value of the 1937 proof sovs (only year for George VI)?
    I have one that is lightly scratched...must have been worn as a pendant or carried in a pocket for a while.
    it was not real money, because to me money a coin must have been in circulation, but it is a rarebit anyway, i purchased my GVI doublesov at 538 euro = 752 $ auction expenses included.
    Some two years ago i bumped on a perfect proof 1937 sov in a numismatic event organized at the Paris Stock Exchange. I think the seller asked 900 euros = today 1261 $. I didn't sell my kingdom for THAT horse and the urge has eased now i got that double sov, but i would'nt mind buying a 1937 sov even slightly scratched at a suitable price....or even exchange against some spares i have.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hugo mandeville View Post
    it was not real money, because to me money a coin must have been in circulation, but it is a rarebit anyway, i purchased my GVI doublesov at 538 euro = 752 $ auction expenses included.
    Some two years ago i bumped on a perfect proof 1937 sov in a numismatic event organized at the Paris Stock Exchange. I think the seller asked 900 euros = today 1261 $. I didn't sell my kingdom for THAT horse and the urge has eased now i got that double sov, but i would'nt mind buying a 1937 sov even slightly scratched at a suitable price....or even exchange against some spares i have.
    just looked in Heritage auction galleries among others there is a one GVI sov for sale. Now quoting 1900 $... Have a look and compare.

  8. #28

    Default George VI sovereign

    Thanks, HM! I'll take a look at the Heritage listing. I've dealt with them before down in Dallas, and they were fairly decent.

    Would kind of hate to sell it, as it would make a break in the series that would be difficult to replace.

    I envy you your double sov. I'd like to get my hands on one of those, even a common date.

    I wasn't fishing for buyers on the forum, HM. I'd probably either go the EBay or Heritage Auction route if I were to sell it...I suspect with the light scratches, that it might only bring about $400.

    Thank you for the good information!
    Last edited by TheSilverKing; 05-23-2009 at 07:12 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverKing View Post
    Thanks, HM! I'll take a look at the Heritage listing. I've dealt with them before down in Dallas, and they were fairly decent.

    Would kind of hate to sell it, as it would make a break in the series that would be difficult to replace.

    I envy you your double sov. I'd like to get my hands on one of those, even a common date.

    I wasn't fishing for buyers on the forum, HM. I'd probably either go the EBay or Heritage Auction route if I were to sell it...I suspect with the light scratches, that it might only bring about $400.

    Thank you for the good information!
    Deal done, you tell me into which bank and bankaccountnr to pay and you have yr 400 dollars plus a registered postage fee by swift payment, am not kidding at all.
    HM +++

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flashman View Post
    Previous poster is correct that a sov and half sov cannot be distinguished on the basis of a photo so you have to watch out.
    It is also worth pointing out that the withdrawn Jubilee Head sixpence is identical to the Jubilee Head half sovereign when gilded.
    $x3
    Insanity is to keep doing the same thing expecting the outcome to be different : quit checking those prices

    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •