Thread: The Greatest Stock Market Mania of All Time

Default The Greatest Stock Market Mania of All Time

Where are the investors?

The Greatest Stock Market Mania of All Time - Alan Newman, May 4th 2008 update

"The Gold Bull Market Still has Legs"
    . . . . . . . . . .

Default Great post Cajus !

I've been shaking my head at the DJ valuations for years- It's my opinion that the stock markets are one big protracted 'pump and dump' scheme propelled by nothing more than emotion. In a twisted fashion the markets are as much illusory as the dollar. "If I think I fly,and you think I fly, then I fly'.

Don't care much for charts but: WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Feral child View Post
    I've been shaking my head at the DJ valuations for years- It's my opinion that the stock markets are one big protracted 'pump and dump' scheme propelled by nothing more than emotion. In a twisted fashion the markets are as much illusory as the dollar. "If I think I fly,and you think I fly, then I fly'.
    Have to agree here, I think the real scam started when the announced "everyone can play on Wall Street" ... if you remember back far enough (if you are old enough) stocks had always been a 'thing' rich people did, the average Joe didn't have a clue nor did they want to. Then all of a sudden there was this concerted effort to pull 'mom and pop' into the game. Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing because people have made money. The fact that bothers me is so many of these 'mom and pops' really have no clue what they are investing in. They listen to thier broker, the talking heads on TV and then yes, they get caught up in the emotions of it and are highly susceptable to being manipulated into waters they should have never seen.
    When all government, domestic and foreign, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another, and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated - Thomas Jefferson

I had seen those charts before when I was trying to figure out what to do with my 401K. Absolutely scary the velocity at which stocks are moving these days and probably a good indication of where they are ultimately going.

I jumped out before that engine went any further into "Red Line".

One major factor for a new paradigm is the major shift from employer sponsored retirement to employee sponsored. A good percentage of people are now forced into the market through 401(k), 403(b) and IRA programs.

Thus, the demand is higher than it has ever been. Supply and demand theory suggests that the prices would be higher than ever.

Whether it is a bubble or a new paradigm is up for debate, but comparing 2008 prices to 1929 or 1959 prices leaves a big portion of the picture out.

Default How true

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    One major factor for a new paradigm is the major shift from employer sponsored retirement to employee sponsored. A good percentage of people are now forced into the market through 401(k), 403(b) and IRA programs.

Thus, the demand is higher than it has ever been. Supply and demand theory suggests that the prices would be higher than ever.

Whether it is a bubble or a new paradigm is up for debate, but comparing 2008 prices to 1929 or 1959 prices leaves a big portion of the picture out.
    I remember during the late 90's, I think maybe it was Jimmy Rogers who said "Every Monday fund managers (Fidelity,Janus,Scudder) are getting 20 million in the mail. They can't have a new great idea every week, so they just buy what they already own."

That pushed up the prices of GE MSFT PFE INTC CITI IBM you can add to the list if you like. Oh one more JDSU.

Default oblique

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKWELL View Post
    i got your message. and agree