Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stolen Bars: How Would You Know?

Would there be any redeeming merit to oblitherating the serial numbers....easily done with enough heat/torch
    Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

Quote Originally Posted by vertical1 View Post
    Would there be any redeeming merit to oblitherating the serial numbers....easily done with enough heat/torch
    With .999 gold or silver all it takes is a hammer. OR you could add 25% silver, melt into a new bar, and sell it to a refiner calling it re-melted 18K scrap jewelry.
    Last edited by Ag guy; 12-05-2023 at 11:41 AM.
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by jiggysmb View Post
    I recently got a sigma PM verifier. Mostly I deal with referrals and not the public but a few guys have been asking me to test a few things. The amount of fake apmex bars, chinese pandas in gold and silver and silver 1oz rounds that I have seen in a relatively short time is crazy. Close to a dozen items in under a month from a small country/farm area. I would not recommend buying on CL/OfferUp/FB unless you are somewhat skilled at spotting fakes. The risk is too high for the few dollars you may save to end up with a total loss.
    yes and i have also found a lot of 10 ounce silver bars, and peace and morgan dollars that are fake and mostly sold on face book or marketplace. i am waiting to see a lot of them posting on craigslist from people that bought the fakes from facebook and now are trying to unload them to get their money back on craigslist.

i find my sigma verifier a must when i am buying anything anymore; i even test everything i buy on ebay from usually reputable larger online sellers or directly from online seller url's like apmex, walmart, sdbullion, etc.

anything i ever bought, though, from kitco.com was genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    yes and i have also found a lot of 10 ounce silver bars, and peace and morgan dollars that are fake and mostly sold on face book or marketplace. i am waiting to see a lot of them posting on craigslist from people that bought the fakes from facebook and now are trying to unload them to get their money back on craigslist.

i find my sigma verifier a must when i am buying anything anymore; i even test everything i buy on ebay from usually reputable larger online sellers or directly from online seller url's like apmex, walmart, sdbullion, etc.

anything i ever bought, though, from kitco.com was genuine.
    The fakes you have found.......Are they also obvious visually, or really good fakes? this question for jiggysmb also

Ag guy
    Last edited by Ag guy; 12-05-2023 at 12:45 PM.
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ag guy View Post
    The fakes you have found.......Are they also obvious visually, or really good fakes? this question for jiggysmb also

Ag guy
    they were fairly obvious to me but basically because i have had a considerable amount of understanding and familiarity with various types of au and ag over the last 20 plus years. i can easily see how newbees could get taken to the cleaners with some of them. actually a few years ago i got some morgan dollars off facebook and thought they were fake and took them to a local coin shop that had a new guy behind the counter who said they looked real to him and when i told him to get out his verifier he was quite surprised. so there you go! buyer beware and they are getting even better at counterfeiting each year.

I hope you didn't buy your gold bars from Bob Menendez. Just saying.............................
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

IF they were stolen so long ago who would ever know, or maybe not reported. But, probably not, but you never can really know for sure. You could call the manufacturer, then maybe the original wholesaler? With facebook, the other day I saw a criminal thing from marketplace, the dude meets you, takes your money for a phone then shoots you, anyway this guy did it twice before they got him, apparently you can be anonymous somehow in the market place, but they will track you down, and they did with this guy.

An equal question - stolen cash, how would you know?
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Could be laundering fiat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12