Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Bars: How Would You Know?

Default Stolen Bars: How Would You Know?

I intend to buy a couple 1 kg bars from a private seller and I was wondering if anyone knew any way to know if the bars were stolen. Would it be unreasonable to ask for ID? The bars have numbers and are a trusted producer (JM Bullion). Take a picture of the seller? I intend to measure and weigh.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

do some sleuthing here?>>>INTERPOL provides its member countries with instant, direct access to a wide range of criminal databases, containing millions of records on fingerprints, DNA, stolen motor vehicles, firearms, stolen and lost travel documents and more. Take the numbers from the bars to the local cop shop and see if they get any hits on a records search of Interpol? just an idea....maybe fraught with difficulty and or risk ??
    Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

If you get them ,Hold them in your hand to see if they are hot.

Before you go to buy or look at the bars, phone your local police to see if they have any 1kg. bars reported as stolen. If they are some, then ask for the serial numbers.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

I intend to buy a couple 1 kg bars from a private seller and I was wondering if anyone knew any way to know if the bars were stolen. Would it be unreasonable to ask for ID? The bars have numbers and are a trusted producer (JM Bullion). Take a picture of the seller? I intend to measure and weigh.

Would you want someone taking your picture or ask for ID if you did this sale? Maybe you are an IRS agent?? I would not do anything to a seller I would not want to be done to myself. It's fine and well to check with the police about any reported theft of bars with such an ID number, and it is prudent to check in authenticity and weight, however compromising the privacy of the seller is not doing anyone any good. Also, why should you trust someone you are to meet in person less than a transaction over ebay?
    Last edited by motocat; 12-01-2023 at 01:26 PM.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

IMHO, my biggest worry would be if these bars are real and not if they are stolen. You can't do a ping test on kilo bars. I know Max down in Florida has a tester, but for most of us the only safe way to measure a bar is a density test and I doubt if the seller will allow you to do one while he waits. How much are you saving vs. buying from a dealer? If you don't feel warm and comfortable about a deal ----- don't do it!
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

I bought them. It seemed like it was okay. He offered to meet at the police station and that went a long way easing my fears. I was also worried he had no history on FB Market. I was also a little uneasy because Nokomis can be a little sketchy, but it was a nice home, and he was very pleasant and personable. The bars looked authentic. I guess if I got took, I got took. But I think I got a good deal and he got a good deal.

Thank you Max for your help and guidance in RL. I want to get a look at the veri-tool checking these bars.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

you are quite welcome t00nces2 for any help i may ever give you or any members here. we will get together soon and i will show you the several features the sigma metalytics precious metal verifier offers for just another method to get that warm fuzzy feeling about the authenticity of the bars, coins or rounds we deal with. the seller wanting to meet at the local police station is definately a comforting signal as well. glad you were able to scratch your itch for income preservation. it is good to have close like minded folks available. there is the tampa gun show tomorrow and it is a pretty good venue of a lot of vendors.

I recently got a sigma PM verifier. Mostly I deal with referrals and not the public but a few guys have been asking me to test a few things. The amount of fake apmex bars, chinese pandas in gold and silver and silver 1oz rounds that I have seen in a relatively short time is crazy. Close to a dozen items in under a month from a small country/farm area. I would not recommend buying on CL/OfferUp/FB unless you are somewhat skilled at spotting fakes. The risk is too high for the few dollars you may save to end up with a total loss.

Stolen gold bar serial numbers showing up. Appears a combo insurance scam and bribery.

Gold bars found in Sen. Bob Menendez’s home linked to 2013 armed robbery: report

https://nypost.com/2023/12/04/news/g...obbery-report/
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast