Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gold fractionals...pros & cons

The bulk of my gold is monetary gold; pre 33 us, Mexican pesos, sovereigns, francs, and a bunch of similar stuff. I didn't pay much of a premium for them and I don't sell at a loss to dealers. If you take the time to learn the ropes you can sell at the same premium you buy.

Talking to a WWII GI veteran that lived in Germany for a period of time after the war, cigarettes, canned food and booze was the best bartering stuff. I think I would be hoarding as much lead as possible if things turned to bartering for food in the USA. Then I'd be going through a lot of silver before I have to worry about fractional gold vs. ounce gold. Premiums would be the least of my worries.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

There is little incentive to hoard lead beyond your personal needs. I cast fishing weights for fun and profit, I probably have 3~4k pounds of lead. Believe you me that stuff takes a ton of space. If I wasn't casting for sale I would probably keep 500 pounds of lead for my casting needs. Well that and a few hundred pounds of linotype. That's more bullets that I'll be able to shoot for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    There is little incentive to hoard lead beyond your personal needs. I cast fishing weights for fun and profit, I probably have 3~4k pounds of lead. Believe you me that stuff takes a ton of space. If I wasn't casting for sale I would probably keep 500 pounds of lead for my casting needs. Well that and a few hundred pounds of linotype. That's more bullets that I'll be able to shoot for the rest of my life.
    you can line your roof and walls with lead.
    If there is an EMP blast or other radiation blast, you'll be ahead of the game

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Why not work a deal directly with some small miners up in the Yukon? I'm sure they are getting screwed selling dore bars too.
    A local buyer woke up in the middle of the night, was stabbed in bed when robbers broke in. That cured me of being well known for buying nuggets. Think being invisible is an advantage.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    A local buyer woke up in the middle of the night, was stabbed in bed when robbers broke in. That cured me of being well known for buying nuggets. Think being invisible is an advantage.
    My solution for that is simple...A pair of Rottweilers, plus a .45 and a shotgun by the bed.

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ag guy View Post
    My solution for that is simple...A pair of Rottweilers, plus a .45 and a shotgun by the bed.

Ag guy
    Happened years ago so not sure of all the details. Pistols are illegal up here.

As gold rises the last while I added several watch items to my ebay list. Blows me away at what the final prices the 1 gram or 5 gram bars are fetching. I thought the dealer premiums were high. They don't hold a candle to what is happening on that auction site.

I think people can't afford the 1 oz. bars or coins so bidding on the fractionals as an alternative.

Are they late to the game? Or getting in before it busts through the old high? Thoughts anyone?

I have been in this game for many years, and I have learned that the buy-sell spread is best in 1 oz units, and they are also easy to sell, so that is what I get into. As gold become worth more in fiat terms, it's not like gold is getting anymore valuable, so people will still afford it. 1 oz is really not such a large amount that you are not going to find buyers, just consider what amounts gold dealers like to buy in so you get the best rates, its often over 10 oz.

That said, I do get fractional when I can get dollar/oz near what I can get 1 oz units at. If I can get at the same rate, I prefer fractionals. If things do get really bad, such that our fiat dollar hyper-inflates, the use of fractionals will become obvious, as will the use of silver. However that is a very unlikely event, so I would not dictate what gold I save in on that.

For collecting, maybe the 1/2 and 1/4 oz are good -- the smaller coins just don't display the detail one normally likes to see in collections (though I do like my 1/2 dimes -- very cute, and a good reminder of our history, the civil war, the nickle, etc.)
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    Happened years ago so not sure of all the details. Pistols are illegal up here.
    My answer to that would be a Marlin 1894 lever gun that shoots up to eleven (10+1) 44 Mag "pistol" rounds as fast as you work the lever. My state limits it to 10 rounds or you get slapped for being a crazy Ultra Right MAGA domestic terrorist deserving a fair trial and hanging. Of note, there's a side gate on the receiver that allows adding more rounds on the fly and just as long as there's never more than 10 at a time then you're a good citizen deserving respect etc etc. Or at least until you defend yourself, then you revert to being the Ultra Right ...........
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast