Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Gold fractionals...pros & cons

Holy moly, near an all time high. ($2,773.29Cadollars) I should be selling? Then the thought goes through the ol' gray matter...."hey...this is for the kids."

Did you guys know that Charlie Munger passed away?
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    Holy moly, near an all time high. ($2,773.29Cadollars) I should be selling? Then the thought goes through the ol' gray matter...."hey...this is for the kids."

Did you guys know that Charlie Munger passed away?
    maybe why gold popped 30 USD today, the gold denier just passed away today

https://seekingalpha.com/article/563...-dont-buy-gold

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    maybe why gold popped 30 USD today, the gold denier just passed away today

https://seekingalpha.com/article/563...-dont-buy-gold
    Haha..maybe that's why it popped.

Spent a fair amount of time on British/UK Youtube. And several said they are not buying at these high prices, especially the 1 oz. gold coins like Britannia's for example. If they lay out any money it would be for either a 1/2 Sov. or even go to the full Sov. if they thought it was worth taking a chance or a really good deal. Just like I mentioned in my first post about going towards fractional purchases.

I haven't spent much time on USA coinage, except one place said their customers were selling gold hand over fist around the last gold high date.

If you can purchase factional coins without high premiums then why not purchased them. However, I've not seen that happening around me and I don't purchase collector coins, just bullion. So paying extra high premium just to have a fractional gold coin makes little sense. Save up and buy one ounce coins or buy silver.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

longdon, not all " fractional" coins are commanding high premiums, french, belgian and swiss 20 Francs are quite easy to find at close to bullion prices. We are living abnormal times, so the premiums are growing, but it is maybe easier to sell a bigger premium fractional than a big piece few can afford or are willing to buy when you need to sell.

When there is a big problem, only few will be able to buy big, in such a situation such big stuff will probably command a negative premium...

The world is a tricky place.

Golditiki2+++

Quote Originally Posted by golditiki2 View Post
    longdon, not all " fractional" coins are commanding high premiums, french, belgian and swiss 20 Francs are quite easy to find at close to bullion prices. We are living abnormal times, so the premiums are growing, but it is maybe easier to sell a bigger premium fractional than a big piece few can afford or are willing to buy when you need to sell.

When there is a big problem, only few will be able to buy big, in such a situation such big stuff will probably command a negative premium...

Golditiki2+++
    This is nothing a good accurate scale and a set of nippers won't remedy>>>pieces of 8 come to mind
    Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

Quote Originally Posted by golditiki2 View Post

Golditiki2+++
    I live in a rural area and there's no local coin shops. Even the "we buy gold" places have gone out of business. So dealing with gold is quite different than what many see where they live. While I can buy gold online and generic British gold sovereigns are selling online for $500 more or less which isn't too bad. Selling them near me would be somewhat a problem. Few is any here knows what they are and I have never seen any 20 Franc coins around me. In case of currency problems bartering or selling them vs. a 1/10 or 1/4 ounce gold US coin would lead to steep discounting on my part, IMHO. Gold is not something the average American understands and foreign gold is not trusted as much as the overpriced US or Canadian gold.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

When, TSHTF, I'm quite sure that someone can be found that will trade you a bag of silver for that one ounce gold coin. Then you go barter with the silver. repeat with just one or a few ounces at a time. In the mean time it's alot easier to move gold around then hundreds of pounds of silver. And the guy with lots of silver will be happy to get your gold for the same reason.(condensed wealth).

Ag guy
    Last edited by Ag guy; 12-08-2023 at 12:12 PM.
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by vertical1 View Post
    This is nothing a good accurate scale and a set of nippers won't remedy>>>pieces of 8 come to mind
    yeah, one need only some good "goldpliers" to cut ouncepieces into quarters or eights, and scales ( when you are not a skilled cutter.

Here is a saleshint for the mints; make ounce couns already preimbossed in such a way it is easy to crack them into four or eight pieces. ( i.e. make them flatter and bigger like pizzalike. ).

Golditiki2+++