Thread: Common sense on gold?

The article by Avi Gilbert was interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by ynot2k View Post
    The article by Avi Gilbert was interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    I have not had similar good fortune applying fibber-nochi or Elliott wave analysis, but perhaps I just don't understand them well enough.

I believe that the effects of spoofing are greater than he suggests, but again, I may just be lacking a proper understanding.

I do see his observations of gold moving contrary to popular expectations, when compared to the events he lists, as being very worthwhile to consider. That is the golden nugget I recognize in this piece.

In the recent past, the loose money, which should have caused great inflation, caused the recipients of the loose money to pile into fast return investment, rather than safe havens. The safe havens proved safe, but they didn't go to the moon, as a certain Bull was once fond of saying in this arena. I do miss the hootin & hollerin from that bull, but I appreciate Mr. Gilbert's pragmatic perspective.
    Last edited by SilverPalm; 10-12-2023 at 08:33 PM.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

All the "to the moon!" articles used to annoy the living crap out of me because they were dishonest and meant to pray on the gullible. Often those who could afford it the least went in line hook and sinker. Now I just see then as fan fiction.

Scroll back in the forum to the middle of the last silver run, there were people literally cashing in their 401k so they could buy silver at $30+ with it. They did so because the pumpers told them it was going to the moon

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    All the "to the moon!" articles used to annoy the living crap out of me because they were dishonest and meant to pray on the gullible. Often those who could afford it the least went in line hook and sinker. Now I just see then as fan fiction.

Scroll back in the forum to the middle of the last silver run, there were people literally cashing in their 401k so they could buy silver at $30+ with it. They did so because the pumpers told them it was going to the moon
    Fortunately, I was not a buyer at $30. Unfortunately, I was also not a seller at that price.

We all pick our points to get in & out. Some choose more wisely than others.

I do still believe that someday, it will go to the moon. I just don't believe that it's going to happen by noon next Thursday, or the Friday after that, or the month after that, etc.

A look back at the Wiemar Mark, or the Zimbabwe Dollar of days gone by will give a perspective of the historical value of currency. A look at today's Viet Nam Dong, will show that the days of fading fiat value are not finished.

When a loaf of bread will cost 3,200,000 of any currency, the price of a gram of gold will likely also be a very large number that is "to the moon" by that standard of measurement. I have come across some people who judge the value of gold by the number of suits an ounce will buy, or the number of bolt action rifles, or the number of quarts of wheat, or some other unit of commodity. By those standards, the value of gold moves far less than it moves against fiat currencies over large periods of time.
    Last edited by SilverPalm; 10-19-2023 at 07:52 PM.
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2023-...rices-analysis
    This is a somewhat complicated discussion of why paper markets are still able to move the price of physical gold.

To me, it's more simple. As long as Comex is willing to let investors stand for delivery & take possession of physical gold at the maturity of a contract, the futures markets will continue to move the price of physical.

Of course, if things get too far out of balance, and the vault stocks dwindle, the events of August 13, 1971 may come to have an echo.