Thread: Gold nugget necklace. How do I value?

Default Gold nugget necklace. How do I value?

I have a bunch of collectables and jewelry etc I want to sell over the next year and some of it is gold and silver. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with a gold nugget necklace. Should it be sold as jewelry or scrap? I guess I have to get it tested but I'm not sure how much the difference is and whether it's worthwhile selling on a site like eBay with all the fees etc.
    The chain is broken in several places but one nugget is about 7mm in diameter and there are two smaller ones.
    Assuming they are real should I just sell it to my local coin guy for scrap or is it worth an online auction?

I could take a pic if need be.
    Any insight about what to do with this would be appreciated.

JY
    I tried posting pictures from my phone and my PC with two different browsers and it doesn't work. Hopefully this works.

Last edited by JuneYear_2015; 09-22-2023 at 12:41 PM.

you need to determine what kind of gold purity the nuggets and the chain links are. then weigh them on a digital scale to get the melt value. if the chain is broken in several places it is probably just scrap. good luck determining the carat weight. hopefully at least 18 carat for both the nuggets and chain links. easier to weigh the entire piece.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    you need to determine what kind of gold purity the nuggets and the chain links are. then weigh them on a digital scale to get the melt value. if the chain is broken in several places it is probably just scrap. good luck determining the carat weight. hopefully at least 18 carat for both the nuggets and chain links. easier to weigh the entire piece.
    My local coin dealer usually takes my stuff in the back and tells me how pure it is. I assume they've got a machine to do it. Is it more difficult with nuggets?

Maybe I should take the nuggets off. The scale I've got just says 2 grams for the whole thing so I assume my scale is not good enough to measure something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JuneYear_2015 View Post
    My local coin dealer usually takes my stuff in the back and tells me how pure it is. I assume they've got a machine to do it. Is it more difficult with nuggets?

Maybe I should take the nuggets off. The scale I've got just says 2 grams for the whole thing so I assume my scale is not good enough to measure something like this.
    Even if the nuggets and chain are both 18K and it only weighs 2 grams total the melt value is only around $96 So if they offer $75-$85 that would be about it.

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy