Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: Coins, rounds, bar or junk???????

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    1 oz and 10 oz generic bars 90% (only w low premium) NOW just adding a bit of gold. Premiums on volatile silver are sick! I might grab some when I get a chance under 10% over spot....Still expensive but I can live with it.

    Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    yes i already did. we will see??
    Good luck, let us know how it works out.
    Stacking since the late 1970's

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,755

    Default

    My first gold piece was back in 1969 when I bought a 1967 Canadian centennial set with a 1/2 oz. gold coin and the rest of the set mostly 80% for $100.00.

    Then in 1978 I turned in a silver certificate for 20 silver JM bars, the series 1 type. I was foolish not to sell them during the run up in the 1980's. I still own them to this day. The plan is to pass them down to my kids.

    2% junk (80%)

    2% rounds

    46% bars

    50% coins

    Personal gold to silver ratio is 80% gold and 20% silver.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    My first gold piece was back in 1969 when I bought a 1967 Canadian centennial set with a 1/2 oz. gold coin and the rest of the set mostly 80% for $100.00.

    Then in 1978 I turned in a silver certificate for 20 silver JM bars, the series 1 type. I was foolish not to sell them during the run up in the 1980's. I still own them to this day. The plan is to pass them down to my kids.

    2% junk (80%)

    2% rounds

    46% bars

    50% coins

    Personal gold to silver ratio is 80% gold and 20% silver.
    you and i are just about reversed. my holdings are about a 60ozt silver to 1 ozt gold - sgr. if the global ratio ever flips downward to say around 40/1 then i expect to exchange much of the silver for gold

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    you and i are just about reversed. my holdings are about a 60ozt silver to 1 ozt gold - sgr. if the global ratio ever flips downward to say around 40/1 then i expect to exchange much of the silver for gold
    I feel like I need more silver to change my personal ratio. This co-insides with my thinking that silver is really underpriced. I don't want to sell gold for silver to alter my personal ratio quickly, so I will just add more silver without selling any gold. Sure would help if the Canadian peso gained some momentum and the U$D dropped a lot more.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    I feel like I need more silver to change my personal ratio. This co-insides with my thinking that silver is really underpriced. I don't want to sell gold for silver to alter my personal ratio quickly, so I will just add more silver without selling any gold. Sure would help if the Canadian peso gained some momentum and the U$D dropped a lot more.
    good plan. i dont like selling gold either. if the ratio were back to 110 or 120 to 1 sgr, i would just about have to sell all the foreign generic and bars gold for silver.

  7. #17

    Default

    At the moment I don't like any of it. It all seems to be underperforming given the amount of inflation we have had.

    That said I am partial to Morgan dollars. They are not even particularly good looking in my opinion. They do feel very American though.

  8. #18

    Default

    Coins, rounds, bars, or junk? The answer to that question varies with the market conditions.

    When gold proof sets are sold as bullion, I would buy them. When junk is sold at spot, I would buy that. When rounds are half a buck over spot, I would buy them. When the tides turn and mark ups increase (like now) I would consider selling some of the stash.

    I stay away from bars because I do not have a good way to assay them. Coins & rounds respond to a ping test, which is part of the battery of tests that I perform to gain confidence in my purchase. If I had an electronic PM Verifier, bars would be on my buy list as well, if I found them at the right price.

    Conditions between the extremes represent a gray area, where I may buy or sell. That choice may come from watching Gama, or just from a gut feeling about public sentiment at the time.

    If you tie yourself to a specific form, or if you just WANT something in particular, you are not likely to make the best purchase that is available in the market at the time.
    Last edited by SilverPalm; 06-14-2023 at 07:44 AM.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

  9. #19

    Default

    With silver it is mostly bars -- 100oz, kilo, 10oz and a few 1 oz. Followed by silver rounds and then 90% junk. I do have some Britannia's and a few Maples, but I've sold all of my Eagles and a lot of my 90% because I could swap them for generic and end up with many more ounces. It's all about ounces, IMHO.
    Do your own due diligence

    I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,755

    Default

    I have been shopping around and have noticed that with the latest drop in silver and gold that the shops are not lowering their prices. Maybe they are just slow... or, it is below what they paid their wholesalers? Shipping to Canada from the USA is expensive, like Apmex is $60.15. Sheesh!

    If the price freezes here for awhile or even drops a bit more, then perhaps they will have to lower their prices.

    Looking to add 20 to 100 ounces.

    I've noticed that there is less talk on the CBDC debacle lately.

    Metals shine when the Fed starts cutting rates. But that is at least a year or two away from now.

    Here are some seasonality charts. June and July can be the lows.

    https://www.bing.com/search?q=silver...p=1&ghc=1&lq=0
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •