Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An explosion sounds real good to me

Default An explosion sounds real good to me

Yep, but silver always disappoints.

I hope he is right, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Yep, but silver always disappoints.

I hope he is right, but I doubt it.
    I can see where silver has been a disappointment, especially to those who bought on highs. For decades I have bought on sharp pull-backs and I assure you I'm way ahead in accumulating generational wealth. When I was young I started collecting silver dimes, stamps and copper pennies...my grandmother taught me what was really of value, so it didn't take long to dump the copper pennies and stamps and concentrate on silver and later in life gold...LOL
    Stacking since the late 1970's

Default American Silver Eagle premiums are high?

According to Compare Silver Prices, American Silver Eagles are running at $46+, which is a $22 premium.

Good thing the bulk of my silver is in American Silver Eagles...

I am one who bought too high, at about $30 per ounce. The irrational exuberance of my youth, no doubt.
    Legal Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra
    A variant of this has also been attributed to physicist Niels Bohr, and others.

"Tis against some menís principle to pay interest, and seems against othersí interest to pay the principal." -- Benjamin Franklin

The School of Hard Knocks is where you get the lesson after you fail the test.

Book title: "The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One"

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpDoc1958 View Post
    According to Compare Silver Prices, American Silver Eagles are running at $46+, which is a $22 premium.

Good thing the bulk of my silver is in American Silver Eagles...

I am one who bought too high, at about $30 per ounce. The irrational exuberance of my youth, no doubt.
    Many years back, I was buying American Silver Eagles for $80 a tube and I still have them. It's all about when you buy, what you buy and how much you pay. My view of owning precious metals was (and is) insurance against the US dollar. It was never about a get rich scheme, although the silver has appreciated nicely in value.
    Stacking since the late 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Many years back, I was buying American Silver Eagles for $80 a tube and I still have them. It's all about when you buy, what you buy and how much you pay. My view of owning precious metals was (and is) insurance against the US dollar. It was never about a get rich scheme, although the silver has appreciated nicely in value.
    Yes, yes, yes!!!! I remember as a kid getting bags of 50 silver dollars at the bank for $50. I just wish I earned enough to keep them all, but mowing neighborhood lawns for a buck just didn't allow that to happen. But I did build up a great collection.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Makes no difference to me.

Heck the last time I sold silver I made out like a bandit. It went down to around $12-something during COVID and with the feeding frenzy that created I think I sold it for $22, which was an 80% markup over spot. I then took the money and bought into SLV ETF which locked that money to the price of silver. Eventually when silver premiums come back down I'll buy back silver.

Seeking alpha had a guy say this is consolidation, he got good reviews for some kind of commodity forecasting product he sells, many posters said it easily pays for itself. He said next leg up is 27, he didn't say when, seems like patience with silver. I checked the bay a week or so ago and the junkiest bars nobody would really want were 30 or so, american flag bars.

I walked by a coinstar in my grocery the other day, pulled the change out, and hmmm, two silver dimes, a dirty dime and a few dirty pennies, first time that's ever happened to me. Usually when a recession is coming people cash out their hoards of change to pay bills, etc. During the GFC I remember seeing 4 5 gallon buckets 2/3 full each at my CU. Those are better times to search coin if your into it, not much to be had anymore, pretty filtered out.

Still would be a better time to also stack up more brass pennies if your into that. I was at one time and had about $1000 worth, I ended up just bringing them back to the bank, still interesting as the melt on those is .024.

I think an explosion would be bad as it would mean we were in a time of significant distress. I would rather all my worst worries never materialize and life goes uneventfully on. My worry is a price explosion that renders the accumulated PM's essentially worthless. Think Zimbabwe100 trillion note that could purchase a small bag of rice.... Monkey's paw... Be careful what you wish for.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Real silver price has already exploded as far as I can tell. You guys finding deals?
    https://youtu.be/PGSjW8obIFI
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast