Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 100 ozt engelhard bar tests as sterling

the new scale was delivered. the specific gravity of 999% silver is 10.49; sterling silver 92.5% is 10.36 this bar came in at 10.42; i estimate the purity of this bar at about .96%
    I doubt anyone would go to the trouble to counterfeit this bar just to skim off 4% silver; although they could get a free bar out of 25 counterfeits. (4%) It is an old style from the 60's where it looks and weighs as the real deal. The dimensions and the numerals and the letters and the box line stamping around the name Engelhard are all amazingly proper.
    I did see where there was one corner that was sanded or shaved slightly to test besides the small center drill hole on the back.
    Maybe two different dealers did these separate tests over the past 60 years. Maybe the same person, who knows?

I cannot find anyone locally with an expensive XRF machine so the specific gravity test is the next best thing.

From the information that Parker at Sigma Metalytics shared (and I posted in this thread earlier) I must deduce that Engelhard did not have a full proof way to assess the total purity of the silver they were using either melting down or buying from another refiner to create these extruded bars back then in time. That is a damn shame and especially since Engelhard has been a trusted premier bullion company for precious metal fabrication for so many decades.

One dealer said he would give me $1 under melt.
    Another dealer said he would give me 85% of melt of sterling purity.
    I think I will hold onto it for a while and use it for trading for gold when the gsr % makes that a reasonable and viable scenario.

I hope all of this information and the time I have devoted to figuring it out has been or will be valuable for other stackers here.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    the new scale was delivered. the specific gravity of 999% silver is 10.49; sterling silver 92.5% is 10.36 this bar came in at 10.42; i estimate the purity of this bar at about .96%
    I doubt anyone would go to the trouble to counterfeit this bar just to skim off 4% silver; although they could get a free bar out of 25 counterfeits. (4%) It is an old style from the 60's where it looks and weighs as the real deal. The dimensions and the numerals and the letters and the box line stamping around the name Engelhard are all amazingly proper.
    I did see where there was one corner that was sanded or shaved slightly to test besides the small center drill hole on the back.
    Maybe two different dealers did these separate tests over the past 60 years. Maybe the same person, who knows?

I cannot find anyone locally with an expensive XRF machine so the specific gravity test is the next best thing.

From the information that Parker at Sigma Metalytics shared (and I posted in this thread earlier) I must deduce that Engelhard did not have a full proof way to assess the total purity of the silver they were using either melting down or buying from another refiner to create these extruded bars back then in time. That is a damn shame and especially since Engelhard has been a trusted premier bullion company for precious metal fabrication for so many decades.

One dealer said he would give me $1 under melt.
    Another dealer said he would give me 85% of melt of sterling purity.
    I think I will hold onto it for a while and use it for trading for gold when the gsr % makes that a reasonable and viable scenario.

I hope all of this information and the time I have devoted to figuring it out has been or will be valuable for other stackers here.
    Post a photo. Some old bars are worth more than just the silver.

Thanks for the research and effort.

Also, this a good page that shows serial number ranges and mintages.

https://allengelhard.com/definitive-...d-100oz-class/

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Also, this a good page that shows serial number ranges and mintages.

https://allengelhard.com/definitive-...d-100oz-class/
    9th series in ‘P’ serial prefix <300,000 mintage. I think nothing special with this high mintage. serial # P290xxx

I cannot find anyone locally with an expensive XRF machine so the specific gravity test is the next best thing....
    An acid test is cheap. You can order a kit from Amazon for less than $20. A few filings will be all you need. You can drill another small hole in the center if you want to test deeper.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    An acid test is cheap. You can order a kit from Amazon for less than $20. A few filings will be all you need. You can drill another small hole in the center if you want to test deeper.
    i have acid test supplies already. i am not defacing that bar any more than it already has been, thanks anyway. acid will not determine purity between sterling and 999

i have acid test supplies already. i am not defacing that bar any more than it already has been, thanks anyway. acid will not determine purity between sterling and 999
    Max, about all you can do is contact the website that tracks these bars and see if other bars in the same S/N range have had the same issue. Don't know if they will have that info, but it's worth asking. Otherwise, sending to smelter would hit you hard in the pocket.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Max, about all you can do is contact the website that tracks these bars and see if other bars in the same S/N range have had the same issue. Don't know if they will have that info, but it's worth asking. Otherwise, sending to smelter would hit you hard in the pocket.
    good advice Don. i just sent them an email

I have one serial number P530...

Appears to be the same series. Seems strange, since this series was used extensively by jewelers to create necklaces and tokens. I would think this series would not be in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    I have one serial number P530...

Appears to be the same series. Seems strange, since this series was used extensively by jewelers to create necklaces and tokens. I would think this series would not be in question.
    9th series in ‘P’ serial prefix
    [999+] [FINE SILVER] [100 TR. OZ.] [Hallmark in Elongated Octagon] [Serial Number]P290660

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast