Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 100 ozt engelhard bar tests as sterling

Default 100 ozt engelhard bar tests as sterling

i bought a legitimate looking 100 ozt engelhard bar stamped " 999 + FINE SILVER 100 TR. OZ."
    it only tests out as sterling with the sigma metalytics basic tester. i have several other 100 ozt and kilo and 10 ozt bars that test out with the line in the center of the brackets. has anyone else any experience with a sterling bar marked 999 fine. i guess i will do a specific gravity test in the next couple days. otherwise maybe an lcs will have an xrf machine to test it better.

I have two of those bars very old. Sold by a reputable dealer. Sure hope they are authentic.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Is it possible the calibration of the tester has drifted ? electronics can do that IMO
    Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

Is it possible the bar is too big? Those have a circle where you put the coin correct?
    "That's not money" - Ben Bernanke

Quote Originally Posted by vertical1 View Post
    Is it possible the calibration of the tester has drifted ? electronics can do that IMO
    i charged the internal battery to full charge. i then tested another 100 ozt engelhard = perfect dead set in the middle of the brackets. the same with a johnson matthey 100 ozt = again perfect. 4 x kilo bars from scottsdale = perfect. only this one i just bought will not register except for the sterling 92.5% setting. i will be searching for a local lcs with an actual expensive xrf machine tomorrow or tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    Is it possible the bar is too big? Those have a circle where you put the coin correct?
    well possibly except see my last reply just before this one.

Quote Originally Posted by redraspberry View Post
    I have two of those bars very old. Sold by a reputable dealer. Sure hope they are authentic.
    yes, this is one of the earlier engelhards from long ago and maybe they did not have good quality control back then?? this was sold to my long time friend 12 years ago by one of the reputable local coin shops. it had the drill hole in it when my friend got it. it was sold as a full 999 bar to him back then.

Probably real, would seem odd to counterfeit the last 7.5%

Curious what the LCS says.

Perhaps surface tarnish throwing off the test
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeAurum View Post
    Probably real, would seem odd to counterfeit the last 7.5%

Curious what the LCS says.
    Agree, my only thought would be they melted down sterling and stamped it 999 fine Engelhard.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast