Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 80% european sterling silver

thx for that, appreciate your comment.

i'll contact a couple of in-state recyclers to confirm everything. in the meantime, in the past 24 hors, river has soared almost another dollar!

Quote Originally Posted by insidedealer View Post
    Calling it commercial, continental, avoirdupois, or whatever is complicating your opening question.
    Also, it's the norm when one is asking a question like yours whether it's sterling 925 or 800 to give the weight in gross weight(in troy ounces), not to have already done that gross to net calculation.
    About AG was correct in his answer, as usual. He, like I, assumed you were giving the gross weight, not net weight.

I can only add that barring some freak antique value, an 800 european tea set is the last thing I want to see walk in my store. It's bulky, undesirable to even a refiner to value before melting and refining. Refiners also would much prefer to devote furnaces to gold, even gold-fill, over bigger furnace needed bulky silver.
    I think it is worth to look a bit with another than silverweight eye into it.. German 0.800 ( if german or austria from before WWI is relatively rare due to the wars and afterwar dire economic situation. Only finest pieces survived the disasters, they sell well.

Golditiki2+++

Quote Originally Posted by golditiki2 View Post
    I think it is worth to look a bit with another than silverweight eye into it.. German 0.800 ( if german or austria from before WWI is relatively rare due to the wars and afterwar dire economic situation. Only finest pieces survived the disasters, they sell well.

Golditiki2+++
    Yes, good point and I agree. It's worth the effort to at least explore if a european tea set is worth extra. I know I check every such set, especially if it's ornate and in good condition. Could be a matter of where I've lived but most that I have been offered are plain or minor extra nice made, they've been more useful than elegant. I have seen some really nice owns in auction catalogues.

i sent out for a preliminary valuation through an auction house in february (before the current silver price run up). the evaluator replied: Thank you for the additional images. The set is 800 silver as opposed to sterling, which is 925. This does affect the value somewhat, with sterling silver being the more desirable. I would give your silver coffee and tea set an auction estimate of $2,000-3,000, pending a personal inspection.

with silver breaching $26, i called couple of middlemen. right now they would ay me about $2400 (out of about $2800). i am planning on selling at some point, likely soon. maxwell expressed interest, but never replied. the trading area is pretty quiet, so don't want to bother listing there. looks like craigslist or facebook, or maybe an antique dealer for the item itself rather than just silver.

Quote Originally Posted by rwh63 View Post
    with silver breaching $26, i called couple of middlemen. right now they would ay me about $2400 (out of about $2800). i am planning on selling at some point, likely soon. maxwell expressed interest, but never replied. the trading area is pretty quiet, so don't want to bother listing there. looks like craigslist or facebook, or maybe an antique dealer for the item itself rather than just silver.
    hello rwh63, yes i may be interested simply for my own collection although the rest of my artistic stuff is all sterling. can you upload pics of the items for us to view?

sold!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by golditiki2 View Post

Golditiki2+++
    I had a bunch on 80% German one mark silver coins from the late 1890's to the early 1900's and had a hard time selling them some 30+ years ago here in the USA. At that time nobody (coin dealers and collectors) wanted anything to do with foreign silver. Now I hear Austria is going to restrict export of philharmonics since they can't keep up with demand, I guess.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    I had a bunch on 80% German one mark silver coins from the late 1890's to the early 1900's and had a hard time selling them some 30+ years ago here in the USA. At that time nobody (coin dealers and collectors) wanted anything to do with foreign silver. Now I hear Austria is going to restrict export of philharmonics since they can't keep up with demand, I guess.
    i was kind of surprised that i did not get a single inquiry from any advertisement. given the weight, the dollar amount was not insignificant, and the item form factor and uncertainty probably eliminated interest vs. junk and govt. issue silver. finally sold it to a precious metal scrapper.

during the last run up in silver prices around 2011 i dumped my war nickels and canadian junk. did pretty good, and was happy to let it go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast