Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 80% european sterling silver

Default 80% european sterling silver

i have a coffee/tea set that is .800 (80%) silver. about 131 troy ounces. i would like to liquidate it at some point. what would be the best commercial method? don't know if it has additional value as an object, rather than junk silver (it is not "special").

Quote Originally Posted by rwh63 View Post
    i have a coffee/tea set that is .800 (80%) silver. about 131 troy ounces. i would like to liquidate it at some point. what would be the best commercial method? don't know if it has additional value as an object, rather than junk silver (it is not "special").
    I would take to an antique dealer. Say that you know the weight and melt value and If they offer you 80% of the melt value...take it.
    Melt value is 131x .80 x $24 = $2,520.20.....80% of that would be $2,012.16...............so $2K would be OK in my book. Many antique dealers have a refiner they send lots of scrap sterling to and perhaps they might want to put on the shelf. Make sure there are no cement weighted items in the set.

Ag guy
    Last edited by Ag guy; 03-31-2023 at 04:24 PM.
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ag guy View Post
    I would take to an antique dealer. Say that you know the weight and melt value and If they offer you 80% of the melt value...take it.
    Melt value is 131x .80 x $24 = $2,520.20.....80% of that would be $2,012.16...............so $2K would be OK in my book. Many antique dealers have a refiner they send lots of scrap sterling to and perhaps they might want to put on the shelf. Make sure there are no cement weighted items in the set.

Ag guy
    That is what I do with silver I pick up, Ag
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ag guy View Post

Ag guy
    thx for the advice. the entire set is 150 commercial ounces(164.5 troy ounces), so the actual silver would be 164.5 x .80 = 131.64 x $24 = $3160?

no cement!
    Last edited by rwh63; 03-31-2023 at 06:16 PM.

where are you located? i buy and hold certain sterling items for my kids and grandkids. i may be interested.

MA. i am open to shipping.

[QUOTE=rwh63;2789531]thx for the advice. the entire set is 150 commercial ounces(164.5 troy ounces), so the actual silver would be 164.5 x .80 = 131.64 x $24 = $3160?

I live in Canada and have been educated to convert standard to metric measurements through practice.

for this reason I feel that it might be in your best interest to take another look at your calculations.

I'm not familiar with the measurement commercial ounce . I instead have learned about a standard ounce.
    A standard ounce (rounded off is 28g ) this is smaller than a troy ounce (rounded off 31.1 grams.

https://www.calculateme.com/weight/t...nces/to-grams/

For this reason 150 standard ounces is 150 X 28g= 4200g
    4200/31.1g = 135 troy ounces not 164.5
    Your calculation process was done correctly however the numbers that you used needed attention.

135 troy ounces X 80%=108 troy ounces
    108 X $24= $2592.00
    not $3160.00
    I hope that this information might be of assistance to you .

Take care and have a good day. kaching
    You are a spiritual being having a human experience. Brent Leese

o;800 means it is probably german, ( but also other countries used 0.800 - Austria, Finland etc. ). Can you post a picture of the set and also a picture of one mark? If it is german it should show a moon crescent i

Ps 0.800 is not sterling.

Golditiki2+++

i stand corrected: continental silver!

photos are too challenging on this site. need to resize, etc. i can email if desired.

thx for the advice. the entire set is 150 commercial ounces(164.5 troy ounces), so the actual silver would be 164.5 x .80 = 131.64 x $24 = $3160?

no cement!
    Calling it commercial, continental, avoirdupois, or whatever is complicating your opening question.
    Also, it's the norm when one is asking a question like yours whether it's sterling 925 or 800 to give the weight in gross weight(in troy ounces), not to have already done that gross to net calculation.
    About AG was correct in his answer, as usual. He, like I, assumed you were giving the gross weight, not net weight.

I can only add that barring some freak antique value, an 800 european tea set is the last thing I want to see walk in my store. It's bulky, undesirable to even a refiner to value before melting and refining. Refiners also would much prefer to devote furnaces to gold, even gold-fill, over bigger furnace needed bulky silver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast