Thread: Break open commemorative sets or no?

Default Break open commemorative sets or no?

Hey guys, I have always had a hard time selling US sets like "Coinage of the WW2" and other 3rd party sets that have a couple silver coins in them. I have accumulated a couple dozen and dont know if I should break them open to remove the circulated silver coins or just sell them as is on the bay. What say you?
    Last edited by jiggysmb; 03-11-2023 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggysmb View Post
    Hey guys, I have always had a hard time selling US sets like "Coinage of the WW2" and other 3rd party sets that have a couple silver coins in them. I have accumulated a couple dozen and dont know if I should break them open to remove the circulated silver coins or just sell them as is on the bay. What say you?
    If they aren't official mint sets, why not?

Most of those sets you speak of were overpriced scams for the elderly.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Why not do your own comparison test? Break a few open and compare against selling a whole set. If you do, please let us know your results.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

sorry jiggy, i can't help you on this one. i suggest what digbird said. i have never had any great luck selling year sets either at coin shops or coin shows.

ok, here you go... i just watched a video on youtube of someone I watch regularly. This is an old timer "the coin guy" and he is very knowledgable about coins. her is the link to his video and if you want to skip through to 9:50 minutes into the video he actually addresses this very thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L27QjQWX9Gs at least watch through to 12:30
    Last edited by maxwellsilverhammer; 03-12-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    ok, here you go... i just watched a video on youtube of someone I watch regularly. This is an old timer "the coin guy" and he is very knowledgeable about coins. her is the link to his video and if you want to skip through to 9:50 minutes into the video he actually addresses this very thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L27QjQWX9Gs at least watch through to 12:30
    Thank you so much for a helpful reply! That is exactly what I was trying to figure out. Most sets sells for much less than just the silver coins are worth. Sort of like the franklin mint stuff selling for under melt.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggysmb View Post
    Thank you so much for a helpful reply! That is exactly what I was trying to figure out. Most sets sells for much less than just the silver coins are worth. Sort of like the franklin mint stuff selling for under melt.
    https://youtu.be/rguFJIX7m1E

Speaking of which!!!
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

glad it was helpful