Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Too Good to be True?

if a fake able to make it pass the sound, weight and magnetic test, it's a damn good fake.

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    You've always been one of the smart ones, maxwell. I'm actually wondering, though... if I may be so bold as to ask... Approximately how many times have you ever found a fugazi (fake)? I'm sure it's probably not a high %, but as they say, it only takes one to ruin your day. I'd also like to think that even if you never, ever found one, at least you have the peace of mind that comes with having that machine. Methinks I may have to hightail it myself and invest in one. I've only used the well-known testing methods that most of us already use, but with the increased and increasing findings of fakes out there, I realize I'm already behind the times.
    i only found one order that came to me that i suspected were fake morgans and when i used the sigma metalytics precious metal verifier it absolutely verified they were fake - all 25 of them. I took them to an LCS to see how easily they would spot that they were fake, and he was ready to buy them from me. This was a new young person behind the counter of the LCS ( I think it was the grandson of the retired old fart that I had been buying and selling with for about 13 years. ) Nevertheless, I believe I could have sold them to him right there. I immediately told him to look closely and get out the tester and he was surprised to see the results. I got my money back through a credit card counterfeit claim and etched "copy" or "fake" on them to keep them out of circulation. That was the only time for my own stuff.
    Just about a month ago I tested some silver bars and silver eagles that my ex's husband had bought online and showed her that they got ripped off on about 7 x 10 ounce bars and 2 rolls of eagles. not sure if he got his money back or not but they sure as h ell were fakes.
    I bought my Sigma Metalytics basic verifier directly from the manufacturer out of California several years ago and actually tested all of my gold and all silver 90% dollars and all of my generic rounds, 1 ounce coins and all 1,5,10 and 100 ounce bars. I was very relieved to find all were authentic.
    You can probably still buy direct from the manufacturer and save several hundreds of dollars if you can wait to be put in the line for yours to be made and shipped. I think I had to wait about 6 or 7 weeks for delivery for mine.

by the way, i did not test any of the dimes, quarters or half 90% junk - that would have been too cumbersome and i dont really ever hear of any of that being faked anyway as long as it is just common circulated pre 65 coins.
    Last edited by maxwellsilverhammer; 02-27-2023 at 07:35 PM.

longdon-I have a fake morgan dollar I use to test the app and believe me it doesn't come close to pinging correctly.

I have been collecting for years. If I go to the store and get change back my eye and hand immediate catch a 90% coin without even actively paying attention. That said, it might be beneficial to buy some of these fakes on line just to get an eye for them as well.

The ping apps I use all show harmonics of what each coins should ring at. Even with real coins it takes a good strike to make a coin ring and test correctly. Worn coins (Walker halves etc) often fall just outside of the proper bands, but ping very close to the correct peaks. So you need to see the results to see if almost right vs. way the F off as with fakes. Your ear is just not enough.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    i only found one order that came to me that i suspected were fake morgans and when i used the sigma metalytics precious metal verifier it absolutely verified they were fake - all 25 of them. I took them to an LCS to see how easily they would spot that they were fake, and he was ready to buy them from me. This was a new young person behind the counter of the LCS ( I think it was the grandson of the retired old fart that I had been buying and selling with for about 13 years. ) Nevertheless, I believe I could have sold them to him right there. I immediately told him to look closely and get out the tester and he was surprised to see the results. I got my money back through a credit card counterfeit claim and etched "copy" or "fake" on them to keep them out of circulation. That was the only time for my own stuff.
    Just about a month ago I tested some silver bars and silver eagles that my ex's husband had bought online and showed her that they got ripped off on about 7 x 10 ounce bars and 2 rolls of eagles. not sure if he got his money back or not but they sure as h ell were fakes.
    I bought my Sigma Metalytics basic verifier directly from the manufacturer out of California several years ago and actually tested all of my gold and all silver 90% dollars and all of my generic rounds, 1 ounce coins and all 1,5,10 and 100 ounce bars. I was very relieved to find all were authentic.
    You can probably still buy direct from the manufacturer and save several hundreds of dollars if you can wait to be put in the line for yours to be made and shipped. I think I had to wait about 6 or 7 weeks for delivery for mine.

by the way, i did not test any of the dimes, quarters or half 90% junk - that would have been too cumbersome and i dont really ever hear of any of that being faked anyway as long as it is just common circulated pre 65 coins.
    That is an expensive product. You must have a huge stack to put out fiat for that. Kudos.

Default LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcwill View Post
    stupidme-"Bought 10. They weighed. 26.1 grams...IN A SLAB. Not silver. ALIBABA? CC covered my loss.

Too good to be true....."

I don't recall having seen you around. I'll keep an eye on you in the future though. Anytime we need to know if danger is ahead we can send you to the front of the line.
    Thanks for the vote !!!! I went to a website selling furniture. All was half price. For kicks, I typed in silver and up popped these. $19.95. Half price...$10. So I bought ten. Sent five to FBI office in Chicago. and Five to Secret Service in Milwaukee. I scratched fake into them before mailing.

Never heard from anyone .....I'm still STUPIDME

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    That is an expensive product. You must have a huge stack to put out fiat for that. Kudos.
    everything is relative Atlas. I feel somewhat blessed that the stack is what it is. I find it a good selling point whenever I meet with someone to make a profit off of my purchases when the time is right. Testing the product right in front of the other person helps to seal the deal so to speak. Not to mention it gives me that warm cozy feeling that what I pass on to the next generation of family is the real deal. Just lucky it didn't go down with the stack in the boating accident recently.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234