Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: educated guesses with reasoning of when we may finally see spot price stop dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by ynot2k View Post
    I'm curious how hard assets would be priced?

If one looks back to say the 1700s, how did someone in ohio know they were paying a fair price for a load of tobacco i.e. the same price (or close and not double or triple etc) of a similar load of tobacco in WV? I don't know the answer. Anyone here knows?
    I imagine it would just work itself out. There are places that use a local chit currency as a tradable medium to keep local businesses active locally. People will ask for x amount of silver for their product, the buyer will have the choice to buy or not. Likely there will be barter in addition to a pure metal currency economy. It might be a good idea to have other metallic currency... I have bought hundreds of 1oz copper rounds. Could be 5 or 10 will get a dozen eggs. Maybe a few rounds of 30-30 or 12ga shot shells will get you access to land to hunt on in addition to a piece of the kill. Maybe a shared house will be good for shared resources and additional protection. Hard to say exactly how it would work, but mankind is a social species and while evil does exist, the bulk of humanity works together peacefully to further common goals.

I think the most useful currency will be just the ability to socialize and negotiate and work with others. I think it unlikely paying attention to a phone screen will be worth much in items needed to survive in a world that lacks modern conveniences.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

There will be travelers with news of barter ratios in distant areas. And also traveling merchants both buying and selling. (ALSO thieves robbers and murderers) peaceful areas with some law. Areas run by warlords and clans. All kinds of crap going on until a government is formed. And then the cycle begins all over again.

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ag guy View Post
    There will be travelers with news of barter ratios in distant areas. And also traveling merchants both buying and selling. (ALSO thieves robbers and murderers) peaceful areas with some law. Areas run by warlords and clans. All kinds of crap going on until a government is formed. And then the cycle begins all over again.

Ag guy
    Sounds very likely.

Also I just remembered homing pigeons are pretty fast and it is likely there were relay points involved. The local in the middle of two other locals had pigeons from each of he other locals. When news came in from area C, the area B sent an "A" pigeon on it's way home to area A.

No idea if that actually was the case or not but it proves Todd's point... we are resourceful and will think of ways to get stuff and to get stuff done.

I think pretty soon (a week or two), the price point is getting too close to the cost of production/refining, and we had a flurry of good economic news, well that is just one month of data, I don't expect February to continue that trend.

Default I suggest you look up Ted Buter on DuckDuckGo. He's consider the guru in the silver field.

Ted Butler says the silver market is rigged by the big banks, and it makes sense to me. You will find a number of interviews with him on the Internet. Take a look.

Still in doubt? Think of this. Every time you add a roll of Maple Leaves to your stash you are adding some $700 to your savings account. Ten rolls is $7000. 100 rolls is $70,000. Not too shabby having a few rolls of silver hanging around, is it? And that's money that, if you are like most of us, you are not likely to spend foolishly any time soon. Can you say that about your cash in hand or in your savings account?

Quote Originally Posted by ynot2k View Post
    I'm curious how hard assets would be priced?

If one looks back to say the 1700s, how did someone in ohio know they were paying a fair price for a load of tobacco i.e. the same price (or close and not double or triple etc) of a similar load of tobacco in WV? I don't know the answer. Anyone here knows?
    the market decides what something is worth. Just read yesterday they found at Massada a slip with the count of a roman soldier his pay and expenses. They stated that the price of one food item was there one third of the price for the same in Rome.
    It was thus the local market which decided the valuerelation of the denarius and the fooditem in question.

Value relations stabilize because they get known. We know what something is worth because we see the pricetags everywhere and can compare them, if they are everywhere the same we will buy them without questining, but if we see different pricetags for the same at different shops, we proceed to the cheapest spot, it is a normal human reaction. The relation of a product, be it wage or whatsoever, to a certain weight of silver or copper or gold ( because these metals are perennial and relatively easy to carry )in a free market is very soon established. The relation might as in the example change from spot to spot, but that is due to demand and supply and related efforts to satisfy the demand.

I do not think it would take a lot of time to establish a " fair" recognized value for the product which would serve as general barter unit.

Golditiki2+++

Quote Originally Posted by golditiki2 View Post
    the market decides what something is worth. Just read yesterday they found at Massada a slip with the count of a roman soldier his pay and expenses. They stated that the price of one food item was there one third of the price for the same in Rome.
    It was thus the local market which decided the valuerelation of the denarius and the fooditem in question.

Value relations stabilize because they get known. We know what something is worth because we see the pricetags everywhere and can compare them, if they are everywhere the same we will buy them without questining, but if we see different pricetags for the same at different shops, we proceed to the cheapest spot, it is a normal human reaction. The relation of a product, be it wage or whatsoever, to a certain weight of silver or copper or gold ( because these metals are perennial and relatively easy to carry )in a free market is very soon established. The relation might as in the example change from spot to spot, but that is due to demand and supply and related efforts to satisfy the demand.

I do not think it would take a lot of time to establish a " fair" recognized value for the product which would serve as general barter unit.

Golditiki2+++

Hi Goldtiki2,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree but do you think it is the case when there is no electronic communication available? No phones, internet, computers, etc?

Regards,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree but do you think it is the case when there is no electronic communication available? No phones, internet, computers, etc?

I will reply as well.
    It will likely be the same but on a smaller regional area determined upon the distance one is willing to travel to make the barter. Look at the transactions for food in the inner city where the poor must use their corner store to buy a box of corn flakes: Whatever the market will bear.

There will also be those who travel to where the item they wish to sell retail will be sold wholesale. Merchant A will travel to Widgetteville to buy wholesale widgets to sell Sans Widgetburg. They will know what they need to charge to return to Widgetteville to buy more to return to sell more in Sans Widgetburg. If the markup is too high, Merchant B will make the trip to Widgetteville or to Widget Outlet Town and return to undercut Merchant A.... It would take a bit to settle out, but capitalism will find a way. It is natural law and can only be violated for so long without correcting itself.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Friday was the low, rise to March 1 and then a good run in April. I have heard it for years but I think the days of $20 silver are over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast