Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much pocket change do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    I try to use cash as a payment method for almost everything. It might be inconvenient, but it beats the alternative. Everyone on this board should make a couple of cash payments per week (vs some other method). Debit cards are the WORST.
    Cash inconvenient? You get a week in the metaverse for saying such a thing.
    I do enough cash transactions to make up for everyone on this board. In my store I strongly discourage any other form of payment besides cash, and I only pay in cash, except when someone requests a check. Fiat cash is good for making transactions, it's the easiest way.

Quote Originally Posted by insidedealer View Post
    Cash inconvenient? You get a week in the metaverse for saying such a thing.
    I do enough cash transactions to make up for everyone on this board. In my store I strongly discourage any other form of payment besides cash, and I only pay in cash, except when someone requests a check. Fiat cash is good for making transactions, it's the easiest way.
    Very good. I was just trying to blunt the criticism that cash is "inconvenient". Everyone on this board should use cash as much as possible.

Anything but the metaverse. Worse than NK. Haha.

Not a whole lot. I have a mix of halves, silver dollars and some quarters and dimes. I think I have around $70 face value. I mostly bought bullion. Moving forward I may lean more toward US money. Bullion is fine and all but we are learning the difference now between the two with the demand for currency in the form of Money.

I traded about $100 face 90% silver during the year at coin shows and ended up with .999 silver and gold.

I guess I still have maybe $100 face left. I also have a few Canadian 80% silver coins floating around, under $5 face, I guess.

I also have 46 Ike Cu Ni dollars that I'd love to rehome if I can get more then face for them. Susan B. Uglies have been used to cover the $2.00 enter fee for the coin shows. Worst coin the mint ever produced, IMHO.

Somewhere in storage there's some old circulated wheaties left over from my old coin collection days too.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    Let's talk about 40% silver.
    I actually sold all of my 40%, and only kept the 90%. I grabbed some 40% when I first started out, but then went to 90% exclusively. I would love to hear why people stack 40% instead of 90%.

Later, I switched from 90% silver to gold. Silver is just too heavy.

Since people are answering with actual pocket change (non-PM coins), I suppose I will mention that I do have some Eisenhower, S.B.Anthony, Sacajawea & Presidential dollars, just for the hell of it. I realize they are pretty much worth only a dollar each, but they won't burn. I don't bother with nickels or copper pennies...again, too heavy.
    Last edited by Dmitri; 01-02-2023 at 09:32 PM.

One little known fact is 40% has a 20% silver core clad with 80%

dmitri-I would love to hear why people stack 40% instead of 90%."

I personally do not and never even considered it until recently. I can see why folks would. You are getting a lot of value in spending power, plus the Silver content. No matter what silver does you have that face value. It is kind of a win win if you can get it at spot, which isn't difficult in normal times.

And4rik-"One little known fact is 40% has a 20% silver core clad with 80%"

I didnt know until you told me and it's ultimately why I passed up on an $100 face value bag I was seriously considering. If the core were 35% I would be more comfortable with the idea of 40%.
    Last edited by jjmcwill; 01-03-2023 at 04:21 AM.

Silver would have to crater below $3.40 per troy ounce in current dollar terms for the "face value" to offer any sort of "price protection". If that were to happen the loss to me would be such that I would not give a rat's @$$ that I could get $3.40 per troy ounce.

Canadian or US?

Or one of the other 180+ countries I have silver coins from.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

"I brake dollars and never spend the change...Adds up quick" - AgGuy

I'm the same way. After a while, run the change through the coin sorter at the bank and trade it in for currency to add to the stash. It does add up quickly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast