Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much pocket change do you have?

Default How much pocket change do you have?

My core stash of pre '64 silver coins is $200 dollars, $200 halves, $200 quarters, and about $135 dimes. I do have more dollars, halves and quarters that rounds it up a bit over $800. This year I'm hoping to get it to $250 per denomination.

I know some folks here put my stash of junk to shame. If you feel comfortable sharing please do tell, I can use the motivation.

Interesting subject. It is something to shoot for. I really had not thought about stacking junk in those terms. I have just stacked Ag with the intention to swap at a good ration. That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have that in reserve to swap if the ratio go really sweet, or if all the Ag was already swapped.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

I am lax on the tally of my exact amounts. I know I have some stuff around and would get more of an accurate tally
    if I need to start using it for basics.....meantime, accumulate when the opportunity arises.
    Which has not been much given the premiums now.
    Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

I have about $100 in circulated copper pennies collected over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    My core stash of pre '64 silver coins is $200 dollars, $200 halves, $200 quarters, and about $135 dimes. I do have more dollars, halves and quarters that rounds it up a bit over $800. This year I'm hoping to get it to $250 per denomination.

I know some folks here put my stash of junk to shame. If you feel comfortable sharing please do tell, I can use the motivation.
    well, to add to my existing stash i just got $300 in face dimes and quarters at 17 x face last week as noted in the "latest score" silver forum.

I haven't spent any coinage in forty years or so I've collected it in buckets and containers and never look at it, I always thought someday when I retire I'd have time to go through it all and see if there was anything of value.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdigger View Post
    I haven't spent any coinage in forty years or so I've collected it in buckets and containers and never look at it, I always thought someday when I retire I'd have time to go through it all and see if there was anything of value.
    12 years ago while undergoing 6 months of chemotherapy I began buying boxes of pennies from the banks to sort out the coppers from the zincs just to occupy my time while in bed, recuperating from the disease and treatments. Later I bought a ryedale coin sorter to go through many boxes quicker. I later separated most of the wheats from the rest of the coppers bu never looked for any key dates or errors. I have probably 50k coppers to to someday go through individually for treasures but don't know if/when I will ever go through them. lolz. I doubt that my kids or grandkid will bother. haha. Anyway, it was something that kept me occupied while sick and helped my recovery I think. There may be some really valuable coins hidden away but I may never know.

I can only surmise that you do not like holding or using coins? To such a degree, you only use paper? Why hoard little bits of metal that decline greatly in value over time? Forty years ago those coins had considerably greater value. And those that are silver you can easily tell and have set aside as you received.

Now, perhaps the majority of people do not like using such coins either. That is because they are of only nuisance value and require to much math. There is nothing intrinsically less practical about using quarter and smaller sized coins than paper. They are actually faster and easier to sort and count than paper. The modern aversion to use of coins is entirely due to the near useless value, one can better understand this when asked: Would you prefer all cent denominations of currency to also be made paper?
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

If you want to see complicated math wait until a hyper inflationary event sends the price of the dollar tumbling by the hour, with things having different prices in the morning and in the evening. There is a chance that the quarter of silver will buy you the same from day to day.

I really don't know. Bought as insurance for a very uncertain future...went from bullion to rare certs, to rare coins. Junk silver too. If I'm lucky i wont get to spend any of it and my 2 sons get a very nice inheritance ( I had none). There will be instructions on how to redeem so they don't get swindled.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast