Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40 percent Kennedy half dollars? Any resell issues?

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    Theses coins are underrated. Actually they are 80% silver clad with an inner core of 29% silver. I have never seen an Eisenhower 40% sell anywhere near melt.

https://www.jmbullion.com/ultimate-g...-silver-coins/
    when 90% selling at high premium, even the real craps get pushed up.

I've had these a few times, or find them in circulation. If you can time when you sell you will be OK. But if you need to dump it at a refiner, they start you hose you at 70% to 80% purity. These, being only 40% overall get discounted to their lowest rate when you sell. So do war nickels if they go to a refiner. Even Canadian 80% silver can be a tricky sell. I had some difficulty getting rid of it for a decent price, but I eventually did.

hellboy-I've had these a few times, or find them in circulation. If you can time when you sell you will be OK. But if you need to dump it at a refiner, they start you hose you at 70% to 80% purity. These, being only 40% overall get discounted to their lowest rate when you sell. So do war nickels if they go to a refiner. Even Canadian 80% silver can be a tricky sell. I had some difficulty getting rid of it for a decent price, but I eventually did."

I came to the conclusion that they are sort of in the same category as gold backs. They are a cheap way to have a fractional amount of silver with the benefit of being real US currency as well. If you think you will ever need a barter bag then they are kind of cool. $100 face value, roughly 30 ounces of silver for around $800. I'll stick to more investment grade silver, but I could see why someone would want a couple hundred of these lying around.

At the correct price point all silver is good silver.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12