Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First silver bar !

Default First silver bar !

Hi !

Just bought my first silver bar, a one kilo. The first one, i will stick with kilo bars.
    I think that it can go "to the moon" in the next decades. Just an gut feeling.

The density is quite high. A nice object. +-750chf.

Just a question : how can you be sure that it is authentic, apart from knowing the dealer ? The colour is pretty common... it could even be a steel alloy. Thanks !

Last edited by gr33n; 10-29-2022 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr33n View Post
    Hi !

Just bought my first silver bar, a one kilo. The first one, i will stick with kilo bars.
    I think that it can go "to the moon" in the next decades. Just an gut feeling.

The density is quite high. A nice object. +-750chf.

Just a question : how can you be sure that it is authentic, apart from knowing the dealer ? The colour is pretty common... it could even be a steel alloy. Thanks !

Measure it, then weigh it.

Or cut it in half.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

I made the gravity test / it is perfectly fine.

The surface can be tested with a simple acid test. You can buy test kits for less than $20. The solutions for testing various grades of gold will last a long time, but the fluid used to test silver does turn dark & go bad over time. Keeping it in a refrigerator will slow the process.

The acid test only tests the surface. If you want to be sure that the center is the same, then you either need to cut it in half, melt it, or get a PM verifier instrument with a bullion wand. I haven't looked lately, but I think that the low end ones were going for about $750 a few years ago.

One of the reasons I prefer coins or rounds to bars, is that with them you can also do a ping test to determine if the center is not the same, A bar does not allow that simple and inexpensive test. You can get a ping test app for a smart phone for about the same price as an acid test.

Weight, measure & ping is the cheapest way to have good confidence, but the ping test does not work on bars, so that leaves weight, measure & electronic test for your bar.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

I made the gravity test / it is perfectly fine.
    Molybdenum density is very close to silver, 10.3 vs 10.5 g/cc

On a solid simple shape object like this kilo bar, it would be hard to make that mistake. +/-.2 g/cc

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    On a solid simple shape object like this kilo bar, it would be hard to make that mistake. +/-.2 g/cc
    I measured 1000g of dry bar and 96g of displaced water, without substracting the displacement of the elastics suspending the bar.
    10.42 is sufficiently close to 10.49 - I think. My scale is not precise (gram). The elastics probably substract (hypothesis) 0.5g, so 1000/95.5 = 10.47.

Don't really know what the error margin is. I suppose that I should not be too close to molybdenium (10.28).

I do not know how molybdenium oxydizes but silver oxydation is quite typical. Will see as the bar ages. And will be able to compare the colour when I will buy another bar ^^
    Last edited by gr33n; 10-31-2022 at 09:18 AM.

A few drops of nitric acid wait half a minute and than a drop of salt water makes silver chloride (a white cloudy precipitate). Proof of silver. baking soda and rinse to neutralize.

Ag guy
    Last edited by Ag guy; 10-31-2022 at 04:17 PM.
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

I measured 1000g of dry bar and 96g of displaced water, without substracting the displacement of the elastics suspending the bar.
    10.42 is sufficiently close to 10.49 - I think. My scale is not precise (gram). The elastics probably substract (hypothesis) 0.5g, so 1000/95.5 = 10.47.

Don't really know what the error margin is. I suppose that I should not be too close to molybdenium (10.28).

I do not know how molybdenium oxydizes but silver oxydation is quite typical. Will see as the bar ages. And will be able to compare the colour when I will buy another bar ^^
    the volume difference is ~1.95%, if measurement is precise enough, it's a good method.

regarding tarnish color, a fake bar could be silver plated, defeating the visual test method.

on acid test, a fake bar could be plated thicker.

however, silver isn't expensive enough (yet) to employ fancy counterfeiting features

Since silver is heavier than molybdenum your test clearly shows that. You know you did not have copper alloyed with gold..
    A ping test should be enough to confirm, visual inspect too size dimensions. Mo does not tarnish like like silver or have the luster.

a fake bar could be silver plated, defeating the visual test method.
    Stamped coins with a high profile would easily make this not possible
    Last edited by and4rik; 10-31-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast