Thread: Buyer beware, Fake Silver Eagles

Default Buyer beware, Fake Silver Eagles

Lots of fake Silver eagles are being sold on ebay. Here is one listing for $25, coming from China. I cant believe they are already producing the newer style. If the picture is representative, that is a good fake. Makes me wonder how many of the old style are floating around. I had a coworker buy some on facebook that were obvious fakes and he also bought the baby yoda silver rounds there that were light as a feather.

I have reported the listing.

Last edited by jiggysmb; 09-21-2022 at 08:08 AM.

This has been going on forever. I have a really good fake of a Morgan dollar and once received a very good fake of a Japanese silver yen, same size as the US dollar. That one I pulled it out at the post office, did a coin flip, and I knew it was a fake before it hit my hand by the sound it made. There are tons of fakes of the most generic rounds as well, most physically very convincing.

It is easy to fake the coins and rounds, not so much the metal itself. They always weight and sound wrong. The exception is high value fakes that are made of silver but I don't do numismatics.

I am aware of the fakes, I just thought the timing of the new design was pretty quick.

So much else is made in China, might as well have our coins minted there. These "fakes" good symbols of what has become of the Treasury, and to the larger economy and even our larger culture in general.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Maybe pay for them with fake paper money printed N. Korea. There's an idea, buy fake crap with fake fiat money? Or is that illegal? Or is that just a double negative? Baa. How about just staying away from fleabay.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Default Not shipping is the scam

I believe they just wont ship any..
    If they do I would be surprised.

The first three rules of buying on eBay. 1.Check feedback 2. Check feedback, 3. Check feedback. For Coins/bullion etc It should be 99.8% or higher with a minimum of 200 items sold and established 5 years. For other items I would not be as stringent.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermedicine View Post
    The first three rules of buying on eBay. 1.Check feedback 2. Check feedback, 3. Check feedback. For Coins/bullion etc It should be 99.8% or higher with a minimum of 200 items sold and established 5 years. For other items I would not be as stringent.
    My rule are tougher, don't buy on eBay unless it's from a large coin dealer that has a real website too.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble