Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Premiums

I remember the chocolate bar vs the silver bar man-on-the-street experiment. People were told: "this is a silver bar, this is a chocolate bar. Which one would you like to have?". People took the chocolate bar... Point being your average joker doesn't know what silver is, be it government or generic.

Things get bad enough where we are trying to transact with silver I would be equally suspicious of either, as fakes abound.

I think the best bet to see the affect of premiums is to check ASE and Generic prices at your LCS, then ask what their buy back price is…you’ll lose most of that ASE premium on the buy back.

I think people are so guarded against scams and sidewalk trickery that they suspected foul play on the so called silver bar....as if it had a deep jungle virus of the deadly purple diabungi or something. SO, they played safe and went for the snack.
    That said...I agree the general population is PM retarded.

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

"I think the best bet to see the affect of premiums is to check ASE and Generic prices at your LCS, then ask what their buy back price is…you’ll lose most of that ASE premium on the buy back."

That's almost like figuring the price of gold by asking the "we buy gold" stall at the mall. If your exit strategy is to sell to your local coin shop you haven't figured out half of this whole buying AND selling silver business.

Heck I sold some silver when the price crashed during covid! I hit something like $14 or so and people went crazy buying it because "this is it! Economy crashing! To da moon!". It wasn't much, 100 ounces for the equivalent of $22 an ounce. I then turned around and linked that money to the price of silver by putting it into a silver ATF. One of these days when the spot prices go down (or I find me some private stash of silver for low premiums) ill cash that in and get an extra 50 ounces of silver for a few hours of playing around.

Interesting, was that generic silver or govt minted? If it was generic, how much more do you think you could have gotten if it was ASE’s? Purely an opinion based question I’m asking, but I think it has some relevance.

i find the ungraded 1986 ASE is over hyped, costing ~ 82 USD with mintage 5.4 million and 1.45 million in proof

meanwhile from the same dealer,
    1988 ASE priced at 53 USD with mintage 5.0 million and 0.56 million in proof
    1995 ASE priced at 58 USD with mintage 4.7 million and 0.44 million in proof
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 12-07-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Back in the day I remember buying a tube of ASE for $80 USD and singles, $4 each. Still have them...I believe those days are long gone. LOL
    Stacking since the late 1970's

https://youtu.be/y9WdLqAghzY

Speaking of premiums on silver...
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234