Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Premiums

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    ASE premium is now 100% from major retail dealers, just insane.
    for 1986, 1994 and 1996 ASE, premium is 300-460%. I hardly see these dates as rare or semi rare bullion.
    ....but if you go to sell, do they offer nearly the same markup? In my area they don't. If I want that kind of money, I need to find private buyers.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxp1 View Post
    When will premiums start to go down, way too high for me
    My simple answer to this simple question is as follows -

The premiums will likely go down when the posted spot price rises to where it really should be.

If silver spot were to rise & hold around $30, then eagles would probably become available at $35 before very long. A lot of people who bought in the past few years, at higher spot prices, are holding right now, rather than sell at a loss. A higher spot price would likely bring a lot more secondary market product back into play. That would put pressure on the premiums.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    My simple answer to this simple question is as follows -

The premiums will likely go down when the posted spot price rises to where it really should be.

If silver spot were to rise & hold around $30, then eagles would probably become available at $35 before very long. A lot of people who bought in the past few years, at higher spot prices, are holding right now, rather than sell at a loss. A higher spot price would likely bring a lot more secondary market product back into play. That would put pressure on the premiums.
    SO....do you buy now and pay higher premiums for a total of $25-$26 per ounce, or do you wait for lower premiums and pay $35 total per ounce for physical just to pay a lower premium ??
    If not already in the stack...Those seem to be the choices.

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

If you stack silver, stack silver. Buy the lowest premium at the time. Buy 0-999% or better. (not sterling or other alloys) Do not buy imprints pressed into your silver. Or for those from Rio Linda -----> buy generic! In the long run it is the number of ounces that matters, not the pretty little imprinted eagles, maple leafs, lady liberties or other things.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Buy junk silver if you still can, next buy eagles and maple leafs if the premium is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    Buy junk silver if you still can, next buy eagles and maple leafs if the premium is reasonable.
    No!!!!!!

Once again, if you are stacking (not collecting or buying for rarity) then you need to buy generic!!!! Not Eagles, not Maples. Not even my loved Britannia coins.

It's all about the number of ounces you can buy with your money! Here's a good video that explains just why!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3UuxE23Lw&t=360s

You have posted this video before. There is nothing wrong per se with generic but this video lacks key points I can't remember which and refuse to try and watch again.

Eagles and maples are most easily recognizable visually, period. All other generics have different size dimensions, not to mention the purity being unknown.

LongDonSilver, which do you consider the most popular generic round. I would say sunshine mint would be a good bet but curious what you have to say. For me at least, buying unbranded random mint 1oz buffaloes in quantity at a large busy coin show from an unknown dealer would be a no go. On the flip side, finding a buyer for a monster box of eagles, dates excluded, at a solid price point would be much easier.
    Last edited by and4rik; 11-01-2022 at 07:20 PM.

The video lacks nothing if you listen to the whole video. The only factor that kills any returns, no matter what, is if silver doesn't go up in fiat value when you need to sell. The video is clear as it explains that even if you get the full premium back on your Eagles and no premium at all back went you sell generic that you still come out ahead with generic. I don't know what more you need to know. You can D/L the spreadsheet he created and play with the numbers yourself if you have doubts. There's no card tricks involved, just math. But if you like to collect and don't give a $hit about getting the most dollars for your stack if or when you sell, then have at it, collect. But don't call that stacking for stacking purposes. I don't care iou can even have a hybrid stack of generic and pretty little imprints, but again that's not stacking for stacking purposes only. It's no skin off my back if that's what you like to do. I'm just pointing out to others that generic is the best way to stack if you just want to preserve wealth. Ounces count when it comes to selling. That's the truth and any new stacker needs to understand that and is not be mislead with buying this coin vs. that coin or due to what country made it or if it is 0.999 vs. 0.9999 vs. 0.99999. It strictly a matter ounces of metal that pays off the most. Same thing for buying fractional PM, it's the premiums that kills your returns.

If you aren’t in this game then no round is “easily recognizable”. If you’re in this game then you’ll know if it’s silver/gold or not. The general public has no clue about generic or government minted rounds and won’t be willing to pay a premium for them. If you’re selling to a local then you’re still not going to get the ROI from them. Generic is the way to go.

[[/B]Nonsense. Silver eagles are the most popular and easily recognizable for noobs and experienced stackers. Thus resale to the largest market makes it a winning move.
    That my basic concerns about generic were ignored in both posts I will just assume this is some sort of beef with how high shiney objects get stacked.
    Last edited by and4rik; 11-02-2022 at 08:37 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast