Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When does silver start hedging against inflation?

Silver is doing ok over the long run, even since the 1870's when the 2000 year old 12 or 16 to 1 money standard was first eroded leading to silver having no place as official money today, unlike gold which retains some official money value today. In the last 50 years since I've been involved it's done ok, not great, but ok. I don't like the comparisons to gasoline prices, as oil price is really controlled and manipulated more than silver. I prefer the turkey sandwich ratio to illustrate the rise in silver in the last 50 years. Back then it took 6-8 silver quarters to buy a good turkey sandwich, which in those days came with lots of cole slaw and a few pickles, and French fries. Today the same sandwich only costs 2 silver quarters, with 1 silver quarter extra for some cole slaw, a pickle, and a few French fries. Add russian dressing as your taste or politics prefers.
    Last edited by insidedealer; 09-04-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by insidedealer View Post
    Silver is doing ok over the long run, even since the 1870's when the 2000 year old 12 or 16 to 1 money standard was first eroded leading to silver having no place as official money today, unlike gold which retains some official money value today. In the last 50 years since I've been involved it's done ok, not great, but ok. I don't like the comparisons to gasoline prices, as oil price is really controlled and manipulated more than silver. I prefer the turkey sandwich ratio to illustrate the rise in silver in the last 50 years. Back then it took 6-8 silver quarters to buy a good turkey sandwich, which in those days came with lots of cole slaw and a few pickles, and French fries. Today the same sandwich only costs 2 silver quarters, with 1 silver quarter extra for some cole slaw, a pickle, and a few French fries. Add russian dressing as your taste or politics prefers.
    Add bacon and the math really changes. So no club sammich for you.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

In 1964 a golden arches hamburger, french fry (only one size back then) plus a soft drink (ditto one size) was $0.47. Today, I can't tell you what a McD's hamburger, small fry and small drink costs (don't eat there any more), but melt value for two silver quarters today is $6.50. Does that still buy the trio?
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

WELL.........everything is up in price.....Except for gold and silver of course!

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    In 1964 a golden arches hamburger, french fry (only one size back then) plus a soft drink (ditto one size) was $0.47. Today, I can't tell you what a McD's hamburger, small fry and small drink costs (don't eat there any more), but melt value for two silver quarters today is $6.50. Does that still buy the trio?
    I'm pretty sure it does. I don't eat there(except an occasional french fry), but I think you can get a small burger, small fry, small drink, for about 23 silver cents today.
    I do frequently buy chinese food from a restaurant who's owner is a silver bug. He'll happily take my silver dime in exchange for an egg roll, a good one too. Years ago, from the same restaurant in 1964, these used to cost 33 or 50 silver cents.
    Last edited by insidedealer; 09-06-2022 at 09:47 PM.

Haven't been to McDonald's in some time. Maybe once a year tops I'll stop at one of those places for food.
    Last place was Taco bell. None of that stuff is reasonably priced anymore. Garbage food for garbage prices. For what you are now paying at Taco bell for bagged meat and sides you can go to Chipotle and get fresh food.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcwill View Post
    Haven't been to McDonald's in some time. Maybe once a year tops I'll stop at one of those places for food.
    Last place was Taco bell. None of that stuff is reasonably priced anymore. Garbage food for garbage prices. For what you are now paying at Taco bell for bagged meat and sides you can go to Chipotle and get fresh food.
    Taco Bell is insanely expensive
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Silver should be just a small chunk of your assets on a basket having a wide variety of assets. It not even keeping up with inflation for a while should not be much of a bother. Heck my pre moon Omega Speedmaster did a backflip in value since I bought it. I do remember at the time in mid 2016 I was pondering whether to buy more silver or splurge on the watch.

Heck does anybody here has savings bonds? For the longest time their payout was so anemic that is was a wonder they were still around. The series I being indexed to inflation are currently paying 9.6%. They are not a bad place to park some money right now.

Well, that day is not today. Silver is somewhat up from the lows, while gold is sub $1700. Gold is the one to buy today, I wont' get silver until it's 95:1 vs gold again, as it was recently.

Buy the lows, sell the high, and PM's will do even better as an inflation hedge.

That noble price winner who thinks gold and silver are not good hedges against inflation, is either some kind of short term trader, or is lying to fit his agenda. There are facts anyone can easily look up, to trust in what I say, not some noble price winning yahoo or some cherry data spewing brainwashed financial industry parrot.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Which investment is best, depends largely on the window of time within which you choose to inspect it's performance.

buy low, sell high. It really is that simple. Your choice of asset class almost doesn't matter.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast