Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 oz ATB coins and toning

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    I have several Mexican Libertads of various sizes that turned almost pure black that were stored in ziplocks. Not very pretty. I haven't seen much rainbow toning on pure .999silver, more common on 90% silver like Morgan's or sterling.
    Yes, I hadn't made that mistake in a long time, but I had initially been strictly a coin collector and then gravitated towards stacking also, and I do both about evenly now. So, I was mostly referring to the 90% Morgans and Peace dollars (as well as other coins) I had stored in the safe. I think I remember a 100 oz silver Englehard bar I had that did acquire some ugly dark toning, though. Because of that, I put in some of those desiccant packs, thinking it was due to moisture somehow getting in the safe, but that actually didn't help. In fact, I think it may have worsened the situation.

I'm definitely not a scientist or a chemist- that's above my pay grade, so I may be completely wrong about WHY the silver toned the way it did. All I know is, it completely stopped when I changed how and where I stored coins and bullion- as long as they weren't with guns and ammo, I've never had the issue since.

My assumption is that the ziplock bags contain plastic similar enough to the old plastic 2x2 coin flips that contained PVC (poly vinyl chloride), which used to create that "green slime" over time due to bad chemical reactions and improper storage.

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    I don't have any ATB stuff. I did get the Chad King Tut 5 ounce stuff from Scottsdale mint.

https://youtu.be/9_jIH7PdNyM
    I don't have any of those, either. I had plenty of chances to pick a bunch of them up, too. But personally, I thought they were ugly and officially their face values are still only 25 cents, which IMO is simply ridiculous. Honestly, nothing against anyone who finds them alluring, but they just remind me of gimmicky oversized state quarters...

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    In my experience, it turned out to be ugly brown toning and not beautifully colorful rainbow toning. That's why I changed the way I was storing them. Not sure what kind he's getting though.
    Its brown toning, nothing on the face of the coins. On the coins that have it, its only on the top edge of the coins for some reason.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info!
    ALWAYS BELIEVE IN GOLD!

An untoned new coin should be worth (numismatically) more, no?

Let Tarn-x be your friend and away goes toning, down the drain.
    Stacking since the late 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    An untoned new coin should be worth (numismatically) more, no?
    Technically, yes. Most collectors want/prefer a coin to look like it did coming right out of the mint- absolutely beautiful and shiny. Especially for modern coins. There are some though who would argue that it's unreasonable to expect say, a silver coin from decades or centuries ago to still be shiny as silver is so reactive to environmental conditions and/or improper storage. That argument basically suggests that many, many old coins have been "dipped" or technically "cleaned" and that's the reason why they're shiny today. Naturally, over dipping by collectors and/or dealers over the years can and will give silver coins a washed out look, with no original luster left, but that's a discussion for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Let Tarn-x be your friend and away goes toning, down the drain.
    LOL, Lawrence. Yup. Or other products like E Z Est or the stuff people use to remove tarnish from jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    I don't have any of those, either. I had plenty of chances to pick a bunch of them up, too. But personally, I thought they were ugly and officially their face values are still only 25 cents, which IMO is simply ridiculous. Honestly, nothing against anyone who finds them alluring, but they just remind me of gimmicky oversized state quarters...
    I felt the same way. I also lack an ATB and it is not on my radar, unless near melt.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12