Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 oz ATB coins and toning

Default 5 oz ATB coins and toning

So I checked out some of my collection today, been a couple of years and found some, not all, but some coins starting to get a tarnish. The tarnish is only on the rim of the coins. Some have it, others do not. All are stored in air-tites, and in same same location, so not sure why 1 coin has it and another coin wouldnt...... I do have a couple of boxes of Arm and Hammer in this area.

Also, a couple of other silver coins, in air-tites, AND zipped locked in individual baggies have some toning on the rim,....how does that happen? Any advice would be appreciated, one would think an air-tite, and zip locked would enough??
    ALWAYS BELIEVE IN GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by TILTRONIC View Post
    So I checked out some of my collection today, been a couple of years and found some, not all, but some coins starting to get a tarnish. The tarnish is only on the rim of the coins. Some have it, others do not. All are stored in air-tites, and in same same location, so not sure why 1 coin has it and another coin wouldnt...... I do have a couple of boxes of Arm and Hammer in this area.

Also, a couple of other silver coins, in air-tites, AND zipped locked in individual baggies have some toning on the rim,....how does that happen? Any advice would be appreciated, one would think an air-tite, and zip locked would enough??
    Well, one thing to consider is whether or not you store your coins (especially silver coins/bullion) in the same safe as you store your firearms and/or ammunition (if you have any). I found this out many, many years ago. A lot of people do not necessarily have the means or are aware of such things to have multiple safes for their personal belongings and often combine their coins along with their ammo. And since silver is a highly reactive metal to environmental conditions, it's very prone to tarnishing- even whether or not they're air-tited and kept in baggies.

Apparently, ammunition gives off gases over time and/or is corrosive enough to change the surface area of silver and I believe copper coins also- especially in a reasonably small, enclosed area. Gold probably not so much as it's much more inert than silver. I don't know if this is the case in your experience, but it's what happened to me, and now I keep everything separated from each other in different, secure safes. I had even used those moisture absorbing "dry bags" (forgot what they're called officially) to no avail. It wasn't until I kept coins away from ammo that things settled down. Perhaps it doesn't matter so much with bars, but coins are another matter entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    Well, one thing to consider is whether or not you store your coins (especially silver coins/bullion) in the same safe as you store your firearms and/or ammunition (if you have any). I found this out many, many years ago. A lot of people do not necessarily have the means or are aware of such things to have multiple safes for their personal belongings and often combine their coins along with their ammo. And since silver is a highly reactive metal to environmental conditions, it's very prone to tarnishing- even whether or not they're air-tited and kept in baggies.

Apparently, ammunition gives off gases over time and/or is corrosive enough to change the surface area of silver and I believe copper coins also- especially in a reasonably small, enclosed area. Gold probably not so much as it's much more inert than silver. I don't know if this is the case in your experience, but it's what happened to me, and now I keep everything separated from each other in different, secure safes. I had even used those moisture absorbing "dry bags" (forgot what they're called officially) to no avail. It wasn't until I kept coins away from ammo that things settled down. Perhaps it doesn't matter so much with bars, but coins are another matter entirely.
    Good info, good info. Thank you..... Ammo is kept outside of safe, not in it. But it does sit right outside next to safe in same closet.....thanks for tip, relocating ammo now....lol.
    ALWAYS BELIEVE IN GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by TILTRONIC View Post
    Good info, good info. Thank you..... Ammo is kept outside of safe, not in it. But it does sit right outside next to safe in same closet.....thanks for tip, relocating ammo now....lol.
    I got rid of all my ziplock baggies, as I found those coins suffered more than just the ones in Airtites. There must be a chemical within the plastic ziplock compound that silver does not like. Now I store most in non-card board containers such as tin cookie canisters and no tarnishing
    has taken place for several years now. Same thing for my safety deposit box, I avoid using plastic and cardboard.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

ammo cans work well as they have air tight seals.

Do they look better toned?
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    Do they look better toned?
    In my experience, it turned out to be ugly brown toning and not beautifully colorful rainbow toning. That's why I changed the way I was storing them. Not sure what kind he's getting though.

In my experience, it turned out to be ugly brown toning and not beautifully colorful rainbow toning. That's why I changed the way I was storing them. Not sure what kind he's getting though.
    I don't have any ATB stuff. I did get the Chad King Tut 5 ounce stuff from Scottsdale mint.

https://youtu.be/9_jIH7PdNyM
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Shops around me pay more for evenly toned old coins than they do for similar coins that are "in the white"
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

I have several Mexican Libertads of various sizes that turned almost pure black that were stored in ziplocks. Not very pretty. I haven't seen much rainbow toning on pure .999silver, more common on 90% silver like Morgan's or sterling.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast