Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cashless society

The government has one problem...

"THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FO ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE."
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Not actually held up in court about the bill tagline, but interestingly racism and classism is why stores that insisted on going cashless have lost lawsuits.
    Last edited by shades; 11-27-2022 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post

That sounds more like our problem. The new dollar probably won't have that printed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post
    Yes-ish.... Since it is "the government" that defines what is "black market", anything that occurs outside the purview of the government is illegal.
    That sounds a tad melodramatic, specially when you describe the experience as one fill with trepidation.

Your experience is certainly not universal. The bulk of my PM holdings came form person-to-person transactions; no drama, no issues. I know lots of folks that feel the same way. When I sell (which I have done several times for various reasons) it goes out the same way. At any given point in time I buy my PMs at the same premium as I sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    That sounds a tad melodramatic, specially when you describe the experience as one fill with trepidation.

Your experience is certainly not universal. The bulk of my PM holdings came form person-to-person transactions; no drama, no issues. I know lots of folks that feel the same way. When I sell (which I have done several times for various reasons) it goes out the same way. At any given point in time I buy my PMs at the same premium as I sell them.
    News flash, DB. Unless you reported the exchange to the government, that was a black market sale. The "black" has to do with you not shedding light on the transaction for the government to tax.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post

During the pandemic, some local shops would not accept cash at all "due to health reasons". That silly little statement printed on the paper had no force at the time. i have seen the preview. I am now left to wonder when the movie will come out.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    During the pandemic, some local shops would not accept cash at all "due to health reasons". That silly little statement printed on the paper had no force at the time. i have seen the preview. I am now left to wonder when the movie will come out.
    Oh the movie has been out a few years, isn't it great? So funny and the twists and turns are a real grabber.

Theres another lockdown in CHY NA, maybe we are getting a 2nd virus attack.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    So, a piece of paper can give you the WooHooFloo, but a piece of paper over your face will protect you and everybody else....
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

Hard to say if it already happened on Wednesday per Glen Beck.
    It looks like it has been happening for a while.
    Banks require a social security number and statement of occupation to cash any checks over 5000$.
    Before it was 10k.
    I found this website USBank locations

https://www.usbanklocations.com/bank...rivatives.html

The following is a ranking of all banks in the United States in terms of "Derivatives". This comparison is based on data reported on 2022-06-30. Is your bank on that list?
    I looked up 2 local banks on the list each exposed to over 3Billion in derivatives. Bank of Hawaii BOH and First Hawaiian FHB are the 2 largest banks in Hawaii.
    But when I clicked on more information for BOH it read..”Commercial bank, state charter and Fed member, supervised by the Federal Reserve (FRB)”. For FHB it read something not so similar….”First Hawaiian Inc
    Charter Class: Commercial bank, state charter and Fed nonmember, supervised by the FDIC”. BOH is supervised by FRB but FHB is supervised by FDIC.
    My bank is not on the list but could easily be swept up in a financial tsunami. Idk if the commercial banks will transfer our bank accounts from the private sector to the FRB or there will be some great disaster and fear to initiate it. Financial disaster pandemic WWW3 something to trigger so all citizens accept it.
    But will all states allow that?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast