Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silverwear Set looking for info on it and todays value. Thank you so much!

Well I can post a set I hid for the past couple years. Never resold because it was brand new, no monogram on the wooden box and most silver is still in baggies. Towle Sterling Old master. I just saw the same set sold in April for $1895! I think we paid 500 or 600. I see a few have sold on ebay in new condition, would love to know the year range these were made? and if there is any reason to hold them longer?

so jiggy, yours is a set of Towle Sterling - Old Master, with 8 forks, 8 salad forks, 8 teaspoons and 8 butter knives. is that correct? 32 items total?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    so jiggy, yours is a set of Towle Sterling - Old Master, with 8 forks, 8 salad forks, 8 teaspoons and 8 butter knives. is that correct? 32 items total?
    Correct, any date on when these were made? Or value in new condition?

google Antique Cupboard and find this.......This graceful pattern designed by master silversmith Harold E. Nock is styled in the Old Victorian tradition, with refined lines and a restrained decoration popular in the early Victorian era. Introduced in 1942, it features a distinctive violin-shaped handle, a crown of curling leaves, a center rosette with tapering tendrils, and scrolls and flutes along the handle. The classic design is exceptionally versatile, suiting many styles of décor and any dining occasion from family meals to holiday celebrations.

New in factory sleeves OLD MASTER BY TOWLE sterling silver 32 piece Flatware set. This set includes:

8 Knives, Modern blades, 8 3/4"
    8 Forks, 7 1/4"
    8 Salad Forks, 6 3/8"
    8 Teaspoons, 6"

Storage chest is not included.

New, unused condition, not monogrammed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153146631776
    listed on ebay ...

a more realistic price would to compare to this recent ebay auction for 45 pieces...Old Master by Towle Sterling Silver Flatware - Service for 6 Plus Extras 45 Pc
    Condition:
    --not specified
    “In excellent condition. No monogram.”
    Ended:Mar 31, 2022 , 4:33AM
    Winning bid:
    US $1,135.00

I have noticed a general negative tone to stackers regarding sterling these days, not precisely sure why.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Why don't you use them? Silver sets can be used daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Why don't you use them? Silver sets can be used daily.
    absolutely, Atlas, I use them and so do some of my adult kids. Our family has several sets and some other loose individual settings. It just feels right to use sterling to eat and drink with. Food even seems to taste better and you get a sense of royalty using them. hahaha. I went on a buying binge about 10 years ago on ebay when silver was in low teens, and got infant sets, all my grandkids have their own monogramed baby fork and spoon sets. we have saucers and goblets as well, and my granddaughter has several little baby cups she uses as tea party playing with her dollies and stuffed animals. filling the silverware drawer with sterling does require a bit of attention to loss prevention from any accidental food disposal hazards or accidentally throwing them away when scraping off the dinner plates in the garbage container. after one thanksgiving dinner i prepared for my kids and grandkids, i got out the best large 12 setting full sets including the butter knives and serving utensils and gravy ladle and multiple large serving spoons. the next day i realized there was a fork and spoon missing and luckily found used replacements on ebay auctions the next couple months to replace them. i am much more careful now. that set is not what we use for daily usage. it is just too fancy. lolz
    Last edited by maxwellsilverhammer; 05-24-2022 at 11:43 PM.

On April 30, a 32 piece set of Old Master sold for $1800.25. I have sold dozens of silver sets and I wouldn't advise an auction format unless you're in a hurry. Buy It Now will usually get you a much better price.

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    I have noticed a general negative tone to stackers regarding sterling these days, not precisely sure why.
    We always buy sterling below melt. I have collected some nice heavy jewelry that I normally offer 50 cents per gram and people say that is more than the coin shop offered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast